Wednesday, April 02, 2003

Why will people sacrifice family and friends?

Today I visited an elderly lady in the hospital. She has suffered sudden illness and finds herself alone in a city hospital. She is conscious, but can't feed herself or control herself which is why they had to tie her arms down I suppose. She has a feeding tube entering her nose.

I walked up to her bed and she excitedly caught my eye, trying to communicate to me with words that would not come. She grabbed my fingers, like a baby would, and she held them tight, drifting in and out of sleep. The holding of my hands seemed to bring her comfort, she could rest.

I prayed over her and for her as she slept, oh how I prayed. I asked God to be with her, to be her comfort so she could sleep. I stayed with her a while and then slipped my hand from hers and left the room.

Now, I've been around enough to know that there are ALWAYS two sides to every story, but this one bugs me. She moved to town to be near her kids. Then, her kids moved away to work in other cities.


Why do we continue to disconnect and isolate ourselves from other human beings, especially those who love us and know us. We leave a trail of abandoned relationships in some mad dash for more. More work, more money, more stuff.

Come'on, there are some things we are wrong to sacrifice. We're trading our relationships and connections for cash and a better place in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.