Tuesday, December 09, 2003

BS Alert

Ok, not BS as in a farmer, but BS as in a painter.


Burnt Sienna.


So, my goal has been to repair the dented wall and repaint the entrance, before our Christmas Open House which is next Friday. (You, faithful readers, are all invited!)


Since I've been busy with the Baptism and Advent stuff, I got to the room Monday morning. I finished the repair and sanded it.


Now for the Burnt Sienna. A good friend had given us a gallon and a half of left over paint they had used, and we were looking at something like it, so we considered it a cool gift. We took it.


So, mid Monday I got to painting. I painted it once and, naturally, it looked crappy. So I painted it again and could still see through it clearly. A friend pointed out that to use dark paint, you needed to use a tinted primer. "Tinted Primer?"


So, off I go to buy tinted primer, (The paint guy just shakes his head at me...)


It's lunch on Tuesday and I quickly prime the whole room. The primer goes on well. It soaks in and covers everything completely.


So, it's later on Tuesday night and I just finished painting again with the Burnt Sienna. The walls look like they might work after one more coating, BUT, while I had half the paint left, it seems to have soaked into the primer like it was a sponge. Good grief. Now I have to go buy another can of Burnt Sienna and face the paint guy.


I tell ya, those "24 hour change your whole room into something else before you get home" shows are really just, BS, (and I don't mean Burnt Sienna!)


So, if you're keeping score, I've painted that room 4 times now. Tomorrow I go buy some more paint and paint it at least once more, probably twice with my luck. Then I need to work on the white trim. That should go better, I got some of that industrial cover anything kind of white paint.


 


So, when you come for the open house, next Friday, make sure you notice the BS on the walls, k?


 

6 comments:

  1. Truely a valiant painter you are. My dictionary has this great definition of valiant - "done courageously" - characterized by or performed with bravery but often ending in failure. May you be less valiant but more successful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way you have got to post a picture of these walls you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done that man. But having now sealed the primer with BS, I'd be inclined to try one last coat before you buy any more, unless there's none left?



    About next Friday, shall I book the flights now?



    Have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dislike painting at the best of times....so for you to have a go 'four times'....I take my toque off to ya', ..... just hope I remember to notice!!! I kind of get into the people thingy when I go and visit.....hee hee.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any time Toni.



    You get this far, and we'll put you up and feed you.



    We're just on the edge of the Great White North here, I think you and your bike would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] 9, 2003) reader will remember my last bright “December is a good time to paint” idea. I decided to turn the entrance walls a lovely BS colour. (Burnt Sienna for you Neanderthals). There followed regular daily updates on my fight with [...]

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.