Monday, December 13, 2004

The Clock

This Christmas is going to be very different in one respect, Grandpa and Grandma Friesen won't be around to visit or joke with, or eat fruit soup with. There was a little bit of money that came to us when they passed away, so we've been thinking what to do with it. Today we finalized our decision.


There is a little clock shop here in town with an immigrant owner who seriously knows his way around clocks. I don't suppose he gets a lot of challenging hand made clocks to work on anymore. But two weeks ago I went in there and asked him about the clocks he had available for sale. He started showing me a few quartz things, and ventured into the top end lineup I guess many P.A. people are into, Korean made clocks.


I shook my head and said in a quiet voice, "Do you have any German made clocks?"


You should have seen his face light up like a Christmas Tree. Oh yes, he had some in stock, the best made anywhere, even better than the Korean clocks, although they were very good too. And he was having a Christmas sale, 30% off all clocks.


So, today Lauralea and I went down and bought our last gift from Grandpa and Grandma, a quality, German made Cuckoo Clock.


I've already named the bird "Detier," and he's already made an appearance or two.


The gentle ticktock is kind of a peaceful, restful sound. And it provides a constant gentle rhythm in our home. It's a good thing. I hope that for a long time it will be a reminder of the constant gentle love we enjoyed from two people who loved us unconditionally.


6 comments:

  1. Is that a picture of the actual clock?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a timely reminder :D



    Nice and gentle thought though. Very fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's cool. My parents have an almost identical clock that they took with them when we moved to Canada from Holland. I don't think theirs works anymore, but I kind of hope that I inherit it. It's not likely, since I'm the youngest, but I can always hope.



    Are the weights just for show, or do you actually have to lift them back into place every now and then?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, that's the real clock, and yep, real weights. Now we've got to get into the daily rhythm of pulling the weights, which winds it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rand.. check if your clock man can fix the old one from grandpa.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. in Gwen's house is the grama/grampas clock...the one that went off every 15 minutes...you would remember it well....its weird when we are talking on the phone, and it goes off...takes us back to when we used to sneak somewhere privately, without Brad....and talk.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.