Friday, December 31, 2004

Why Bother?

I took a long time when I considered starting my own Weblog. Most of the time was spent considering the options, how much to write, how much to leave out, kind of things. And then I stumbled upon a weblog I enjoyed. JordonCooper.com.

Jordon challenged his readers to start writing down their stories online too. He pointed out that most church websites were dead static things in need of a stick of dynamite in the CPU. (My words, not his). And I agreed.

Now, the Internet can be a dark place, filled with all manner of trouble as close as the click of a mouse button. It's a place where reality is easily twisted. (Just look at what your spam email tries to sell you...)

But it can also be a wonderful place of discovery, communication, friendships.

I wanted my corner of the web to be a place where I could tell my story, as it is. That life isn't all easy or all trouble, it is what it is, and God is good. And that just because I am a pastor, it doesn't follow that I always have it all together.

So I began writing, May 17, 2002 to be exact. Since then I've made some cool new friends. And not just online either. The online contacts have led to coffee's and lunches, retreats and worship, studies and prayer.

Some of you appreciate this place, and you let me know, and some of you really dislike what I write. I'm trying to get to the place where that's OK too.

But I really enjoy seeing the Internet redeemed. By that I mean that this can be a place where God reaches people's hearts, - He communicates with them. And one way that happens is through honest stories. Stories of lives lived out, one day at a time.

And that's all I'm trying to do here.

I am honestly surprised at how many of you drop by this place on a daily basis, and so many of you do it quietly.

As I'm always looking for an opportunity to connect, why not drop me a note.

It's as quick as clicking this link.

(well OK, maybe a bit longer...)

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Randall. I guess I'm one of those "quiet" readers of your blog. I enjoy your perspective on life, church, God etc. Thanks for also being real. Your humour is a blessing. Please keep doing what you're doing.

    Give P.A. a hug for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] When considering this space I wrote: “I wanted my corner of the web to be a place where I could tell my story, as it is. That life isn’t all easy or all trouble, it is what it is, and God is good. And that just because I am a pastor, it doesn’t follow that I always have it all together. [...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] Randall Friesen has a good summary of why he blogs here. It’s about telling stories, just as they are, and it’s a little bit about claiming a tiny bit of the WEB for good. [...]

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.