Saturday, January 28, 2006

Change. Takes Time.

Change. Slow style.

So, how do you change a church? How do you change a people, a human heart?

There are some days I'd like to subscribe to the ?Bring in a strong salesman, and give him dictatorial powers, and things will change,? way of change.

But I know that that will mostly change the outward appearance of the church. It won't touch the inside stuff. You know, the heart stuff. The reasons choices are made.

No, if you want to see that stuff changed, you gotta go at it long term, and often low key.

Next weekend it will be eight years since I started working at the church I'm at today. And today, for me personally and us as a church, was a sweet day.

Today we had our annual meeting. There was a major vote on the table that we've been working on for a long long time. The last time we voted on this same thing, it went down to defeat. But today was different.

I noticed today, that the tension was gone. The tension at the meetings that's usually there, was gone.
Some people even had some very difficult things to bring up, areas in which we as leadership had failed. We had to own it and apologize. And we did. But there was none of that historic tension or nervousness that I've seen so often in the past.

Today there was a clear and united desire expressed to move forward, into the unknown. Trust was there where there used to be none. Hope was there too, because trust showed up.

And the vote? Passed almost unanimously.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.