Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Hot Harvest Day

Google weather informs me that today we will achieve the grand temperature of 32C, in Autumn no less.

It hasn't rained in these parts for about three weeks or so I am reminded almost daily. The harvest has been going quickly, mainly because there is so little to take off. The combines are running at 7, 8 or 9 miles an hour which is double their normal speed of 3 or 4. That's because the crops are short and thin, so they are indeed making hay while the sun shines. And I'm told that even the green wheat is dry to the touch, cracking and breaking with a gentle pressure. Many of the fields are dry and more like dust than any rich moist farmland. If we don't see some good snow this winter, then who knows what happens next year.

Anyway, as I was saying, plus 32 today. I don't remember seeing that in September.

One day I suppose I can handle. I got my water, I got my fan, and I've closed up my bedroom windows so that space should escape the heat and tonight I can sleep.

1 comment:

  1. the only good thing about this kind of heat in the fall is that it cools off at night. In the summer it's hot all the time.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.