Friday, March 12, 2004

What do you do if...

You've been told you have cancer, a fast cancer. The Doctors want to start Chemotherapy in 4 days.


You are in your 80's, and your health hasn't been perfect lately. Your spouses health has been suffering lately too.


The treatment will make you very sick, and there is no promise it will help.


What do you do?


This was what I was doing part of yesterday when I visited with family who have to answer this question.


And when did humanity gain the right to make these decisions? And how heavy a decision is this for a human soul?


We gained control over births, and now we are gaining control over our deaths. These powers are to great for us.


 

2 comments:

  1. Actually I think it's great that we might have a little more power to choose when we might die. However it isn't good to be old, sick and probably confused when you have to make the decision.



    In this case, if I were the one sick, I'd look at how great a recovery I could make and prognosis of life quality afterward and weigh that against the indignity and suffering I'd experience due to the chemo. We've had to do something a little like this with Chris's mum in the last few weeks. The doctors want to give her radiotherapy after finding the breast tumour she's had removed had already spread to the lymph nodes. She's 77, although seems reasonably healthy ATM.



    If I were the one with the cancer and I was 80 with failing health in other areas too then I'd want to put my house in order and say goodbye. Chemo at 80 is blinkin' desperate, and no-one would enjoy looking after me while I was being treated. I'd refuse it.



    But that's IMO.



    That's a toughie Randall. Try to remember to pray for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it is harder to give someone advice on what to choose than to make the decision if you were in their place.



    What I think is that essentially, they - your grandfather and grandmother - have to make the decision and the rest of you have to stand behind them in it. I think that is what I would want my family to do for me if I had to make that kind of a decision.



    And if the end result is going to be the same - and of course it will be - then I would choose the course that gave me the best quality of life. Treatment can be very difficult and if it won't add much to the duration - well, I think I know what I would choose. Actually faced with this for myself might be a whole other story.



    Will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.