Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Well, this is it.

In Loving Memory of
Reverend John D. Friesen 


Saskatoon, Saskatchewan


Born - October 6,1921         Passed Away - May 20,2004
Age - 82 Years


Funeral Service
Tuesday May 25,2004
2:00 P.M.
Cornerstone Church




 As written by John D. Friesen, Dec. 2003


   I was born at an early age. God, who is omnipresent was there when my parents David and Katharina nee Schapansky Friesen conceived me in my mothers womb.  I was born in a little village called Chortitz seven miles west of Hague, Saskatchewan on October 6, 1921. My parents called me Johann.


    What I vividly remember is that during my childhood days I was the most bashful boy in the village.  If I could not hold on to my mothers apron and a stranger would talk to me, I would bawl.


    Soon after my brother Isbrand bled to death during a tonsil operation in the doctors office, I came under conviction of sin.  My school teacher tried to comfort me at the burial site by saying, ?John, you will see your brother in heaven.?  I felt certain that I would not be ready.  This led to my conversion experience.


    I was baptized in March of 1939. Mary and I were married on October 20, 1940 by Rev. Isaac P Friesen. The Lord gave us double blessings when our twins were born in 1942. A daughter Johanna Marie came five years later.  Magdalene Lois was born one year and four months after Johanna.  She seemed to be our healthiest child. As an angel unawares, the Lord took her home at three years and three months.


    We were ordained to the ministry in July 1944. This was the beginning of a very busy public life. Bible school, worked on High school by correspondence and the preaching services which led to a full time Evangelistic ministry.  This took me across Canada from Ontario to B.C., U.S.A, Mexico, Central and South America many times.


    Then radio broadcasting for over thirty years.  I served as Moderator and Vice moderator alternately of the Evangelical Mennonite Mission Conference for 21 years. 


   Some of the greatest highlights in the entire ministry have been the privileges to help individuals embrace Jesus Christ by faith and find peace and joy of salvation. Greater still is the experience to meet these converts years later being steadfast in faith and many today serving as pastors/missionaries.  We give God all honor and glory.


   We are ending another calendar year and I would like to say with 1 Samuel 7:12 ?Hitherto hath the Lord helped us.?  And as we face an unpredictable future I say with Moses in Exodus 33:15 ?Lord, if your presence does not go with us, do not bring us up from here.?  I also claim the Lord´s promise ?My presence will go with you.? (Ex 33:14), and the words of Jesus in the great commission ?Lo, I am with you always even unto the end of the age.? (Matt 28:20)


   We thank God for our family who stand by us in our retirement years. We are grateful for those who are in full time pastoral ministry.


From the Family


Many thoughts have crossed our minds these last days. We can´t begin to put it all down on paper.
He was always there to help everyone, no matter who they were. Young, old, family or destitute. One of his last wishes was to be able to talk out loud again. When diagnosed with cancer his first question was, will I be able to talk out loud again? The answer given by the doctor was, ?that´s the last thing on our mind.


During his last hours the discussion went, ?just think, soon you will be able to see with both your eyes,? he was quiet for a spell and remarked ?and be able to hear with both ears.?


We grieve, with the understanding of seeing him again. As he would say ?God bless you?


Left to morn are his dear wife, Mary, and their children Reuben (Eva), Ernest (Rose), Johanna (Dirk) van Kuik, 10 grandchildren and spouces 9 great grandchildren and numerous nieces, nephews and cousins, a sister and sister-in-law. He was predeceased by a daughter, Magdalina Lois, parents David I. And Katherina Friesen, A step mother Katherina Neudorf Friesen, brothers Isbrand and David.



3 comments:

  1. You (and all the Friesen family) are in my thoughts and prayers. I trust that God gave you the words and strength to speak at the funeral.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad to hear about your loss but it is also a rather magneficant event for your grandfather. God is Awesome!



    Just wanted to let you know that you and your family are in my prayers. Peace be with you Randall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lynette (Robyn's friend)May 25, 2004 at 2:31 PM

    Thanks for sharing that.....what an amazing story, and an amazing legacy!

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.