Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Some days...

Peter F. Drucker, management and organizational guru, (Not Sam Drucker, proprietor of the Petticoat Junction General Store) says that the most difficult jobs to have in America (North America) are the following.


The one that is the most difficult is, being the President of the USA.
The second most difficult one is being a Hospital Administrator.
The third most difficult one is being a College President.
And the fourth most difficult job, is being a Local Pastor.


Today, I'm with him.


So many different directions to be pulled in, so little time. And, people hear what they want to hear, not what's being said. It is the curious case of the homo sapien, that we are blind to our own deceptions.


But, to be fair, I'm also cranky because it's one of those months. You know, one of those months when THAT breaks, $150 to fix. Then THAT goes out, to the tune of $200. Then there's THAT, that needs to be paid for, $100. Bla bla bla.


Sunday we came home to a great stink in the basement, and couldn't find it. Till last night. Water has been seeping into Micah's basement room the past few days and now it stinks. Lauralea and him spent the day cleaning and getting it better. Then it starts to rain today, and rain and rain and rain. The gutters are full and overflowing. The water is pouring off the roof like freaking Niagara Falls, and it starts pouring in through his window. Unbelievable.


I rush home and start sucking it up as best I can, but it's gushing through the wall, I can hear it running in the walls! So Thomas and I start pulling off the panelling, and it's a mess. We clean as best we can and are letting it dry, but we're already into repairs to the tune of $200. And that's before we go outside and re-slope the side yard so it will flow away better.


Today I'm seeing my failures and my need.


Let's see what tomorrow brings.


 

4 comments:

  1. Do you think we maybe ought to pray for some nice weather? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I come home after every rain storm with visions of 6 inches of water in the basement...destroyed (precious) books...instruments to the dogs...



    I hope it's not too much trouble to fix your basement.



    Incidentally (I feel silly talking about the first part of your post, given the last part), was tree planting anywhere on that list of difficult jobs? If so, where did it rank?



    "people hear what they want to hear, not what's being said"



    I hear you...loud and clear...are you telling me I don't listen?...ha ha...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry - what were you saying? (bet that one doesn't get asked too often!)



    That sounds familiar to me, Randall. Boiler needa a new waterjacket - ?900, car tax ?100, I know there's something else I've forgotten too.



    Maybe I'd better sell that guitar I bought in the US just a couple of months ago :-/

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-)



    Got home last night after writing that post at the office, and the computer monitor was dead.



    Sigh.



    God must be wanting to take us deeper.



    And, I do know that Treeplanting is probably thee most physically and mentally demanding jobs out there, so I'm sure it's on a list somewhere!!

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.