Saturday, September 11, 2004

Fear vs. Love

It's been interesting times around the ol church these days. We are changing our worship time from 11 to 10 am, Sunday mornings.


Now, six months ago this idea was received with enthusiasm and some excitement. However, now that the changeover is upon us, some are getting jittery, nervous, and afraid.


We as human beings do interesting things when we are afraid. Fear can immobilize us into passivity, or it can make us act out in strange ways. My week has been full of calming fears and helping people process their feelings about the change.


So, I've been thinking about fear and it's relationship to love. John wrote that love casts out fear.



There is no room in love for fear. Well-formed love banishes fear. Since fear is crippling, a fearful life--fear of death, fear of judgment--is one not yet fully formed in love.       (1 John 4 MSG)


I like how Peterson puts it;  "A fearful life is one not yet formed in love."


In some ways our fears expose our maturity levels in love. They remind us that perhaps love has yet to have it's healing way in us. That we need to learn to let God love us all the more.


I often fight His love, preferring to be self sufficient and in control of my life and future. This surely produces fear when my plans fail to succeed.


It's His desire to form us in his love. To love us so completely that our fears melt away. So that our trust in Him is sure, and we know He will provide safe passage through the darkest valleys.


As a pastor seeking the health and life of a church, it would seem that the key ingredient is love, Christ's love. Indeed, love can heal and restore. But it can also allow for the safe transition of broken lives, through change, into health.


Love applied over a long period of time will allow for change to occur. And that change won't produce fear, but health and life.



We need to be fully formed in love, so that fear will not dominate our lives.


 

3 comments:

  1. I've always taken that verse to mean that we didn't need to fear the evil around us. But I think I understand a little from what you said: "I often fight His love, preferring to be self sufficient and in control of my life and future. This surely produces fear when my plans fail to succeed."

    I see that the desire for being in control ourselves is probably as big an evil as there gets.

    Thanks for helping me understand this better.



    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd go with the fear. Simply announce that the Romans will be coming at 11:00am to torch any Christians they find. God will be providing safety and communion at 10:00am to all those present to worship. New members welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if the manner in which we handle fear summarises our walk with God? Does it push us into Him or make us rely on our abilities to solve the situation?



    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.