Wednesday, June 15, 2005

I have a secret

Well actually, I have many secrets i suppose. But this one comes as a result of being a parent, a paranoid parent.


Whenever the kids take the car and go to work or school or just out, i will be a little tense till about half an hour later. If, during that half hour the phone rings, i tense up oh say 40%. If I'm called to the phone, i tense up to about 75%. If the caller is the kid who was driving, i go straight to 95%. If it's the police, well, it's never been the police.


Why tense up? Because it will mean that the car is broken, or, that they've been in an accident with the car.


I've always wondered if I'll be the guy who blows up in anger when the call comes that they've been in an accident. I've secretly suspected that i will be that guy. You know; "Ring Ring."  "Hello? what? you've been in an accident? How's the car?..."


I've been doing this since they started driving by themselves. Over a year now since the eldest started driving to work. And every time the phone rings after they've gone, i get tense.


Yesterday was no different. She left and 20 minutes later the phone rang - 40%. And I got called to the phone, - 75%. It was her, - 95%. And the news? She had been in an accident.


The good news? She wasn't physically hurt and the damage was that the bumper was pushed over considerably. Still not sure who's fault it was.


The really good news?  I didn't ask about the car first off. I didn't get angry. A bit overwhelmed, but not angry.


I'm still waiting to hear from the other driver, sounds like we got the worst of it. And I'm not sure what to do with all that stuff. I've not really had an accident before.


But I am thankful for great mercy. And for learning that I'm not that old guy who is more concerned with his car than his kid.

8 comments:

  1. I've been through a few accidents.



    If your eldest is at fault and the vehicle isn't written off.

    She (or you) will pay the deductible when you get the vehicle fixed.

    Your eldest will likely pay another $100 for her drivers license.



    If your eldest is at fault and the vehicle is written off.

    SGI will assess the value of your vehicle, deduct the deductible and pay you out.

    Your eldest will likely pay another $100 for her drivers license.



    If your eldest is not at fault and the vehicle isn't written off.

    Your vehicle gets fixed and probably an extra spot of paint!



    If your eldest is not at fault and the vehicle is written off.

    You get paid the full value of your vehicle.



    Another option

    If the damage to your vehicle is insignificant or it really isnt worth the repair you can get a cash settlement valued at 50% of the estimated repair price. I did that with my car and just received a $500 cheque in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. didn't know about that last option.....should have used that a couple times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when I got into an accident in high school. I called my parents to tell them (no one was hurt and the car was only bruised), thinking that I would get in major trouble. I was pleasantly surprised (and relieved) when Mom checked on how I was doing and didn't worry about the car.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad she was OK. Yes, I understand your apprehension (especially now). Usually when the chips are down the first thing you care about is their safety, and then when you have been reassured you can have a good shout about them being careless.



    LOL.



    Randall, you're a good man to even worry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in 1 car accident.....ONE TIME...and for years our dear parents sent me little pieces of that busted tail light in the mail....as just a little reminder.....so if you DONT do that....you are breaking the cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Long time reader...first time commenter.



    Yeah but Robyn, the car you hit was the only other one in the big empty parking lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I am reading this, I am watching one of my children back dad's car out of the driveway. She made it. Now she stops the car, gets out and moves the railroad tie back to where it should have been if she had not run into it and pushed it onto the neighbor's lawn.



    Fender bender protection Rule#1: Do not park on the street too close to our diveway!

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.