Saturday, June 18, 2005

Randall Friesen vs. The Pastor

Prince Albert is a city of about 40,000 people, big enough for a Wendy's (Finally!) yet small enough where you get noticed. And I love that about this place.


It also makes pastoring a bit different than when we did it in big city Winnipeg. For instance, today is our city's street fair. They close up a Central Avenue and have different activities running all day- kind of a big party thing.


I know some of the shop owners downtown, the ones who are putting the thing on. They know me and what I do around here. Even if they don't attend church, they know that I do. And they have reminded me that today is the big day. So, I need to attend. To be faithful to these relationships I have been developing, I need to be there.


Now, I usually love these kinds of things, so it's not any hardship. But it dawned on me last night that, yes, I'm going as Randall Friesen, but I'm also going because I am a pastor.


As Randall Friesen, the pastor, I have relationships with these people. And many of them have relationships with The Pastor, Randall Friesen.


See the difference?


In a smaller location you are tagged by what you do. There is less room for anonymity, to be just Randall Friesen and thus enjoy a day off.


I will have to make decisions today, because I am a pastor, in public. Decisions that I wouldn't have to worry about, if I was just Randall Friesen, the guy.


While I don't think there is a great difference between R.F. and T.P. there is that subtle underlying thing at work that I always am aware of, thinking about what I'm doing, at any given moment, because I'm The Pastor.


It just means that a real day "off" comes rarely.


Anyway, that will be fun, and a couple of the non-working kids are coming along with me.


Then, this afternoon, Lauralea and I are attending a wedding reception for some friends. None of that R.F vs T.P. stuff going on over there. To them we are friends first, shepherds second, and that's a cool thing.


So the day's going to be full. Lot's of work will be done, people connected with, relationships enhanced, and I trust, God will be blessed through our choices.

1 comment:

  1. We are men of many talents. And as the Real Live Preacher is apt to say.... we are humans on a spiritual journey, And Jesus is a man we can all talk about whenever, whereever.



    Day's off, what are they? My phone rings at least 4 or 5 times a day even when I am not working. Days off are when we can escape and not have to answer the phone. That rarely happens here at home.



    Keep walking, you know you love this work! because it is what you do best.



    " there's more to this life..."

    Steven Curtis Chapman



    blessings

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.