Tuesday, February 14, 2006

SaskTel does it again

When we first moved here from Winnipeg, i went down to the local provincial phone company and asked for a similar setup as we had in Winnipeg. This consisted of an answering machine on the phone line that would take messages for me.

I remember the lady looked at me with a blank stare as I described to her what I wanted. Then a bit of an incredulous look crossed her face and she repeated after me in disbelief, ?An answering machine built into the phone line???

?I've never heard of such a thing, course we don't have that.?

Thus was I introduced to SaskTel.

Well, sometime later we caught up to the rest of the free world and got it installed on the church system.

Last week, for whatever reason, they upgraded the system. Except now it's all in French. It answers in French, takes messages in French, and the instructions are in French.

In the spirit of Victor Meldrew my response was ?I Don't Believe it!!?

So, tonight I got a French speaking friend to help me get the answering message right, but all the instructions are still in French, and I can't seem to change it to English!!

It's 11:30 and I've spent the last half hour trying to understand the French instructions. All they keep repeating to me is au revoir. I think that means goodbye.


Learning French one word at a time, with the help of SaskTel, this is Randall Friesen saying; Je ne le crois pas.

Bonne nuit.

8 comments:

  1. Your French is getting better. Yesterday you would have said, "flocons de mais".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, i used Google translate!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh see that is too funny. I am not sure if it worries me that SaskTel is just as behind the times as Northwestel or if it comforts me to know that we are not the only ones who go through such hassles.



    Be comforted your long distance is still way cheaper than us in YK and Northwestel is still the only game in town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I moved to Prince Albert eighteen years ago, and my place of work had "Message Manager" from Day 1. I don't think it was considered a new thing at the time. Perhaps the lady who served you just misunderstood your request.



    We just made the switch to the new system. A bit of inconvenience, but at least it was all in English.



    Bon chance.



    ReplyDelete
  5. ah merci, merci beaucoup!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's crazy!



    How much do I love SaskTel? Seulement un peu.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How's your French language training coming along? Are you fluently bilingual yet?



    Re my previous comment about having MessageManager 18 years ago, I may have done a bad thing and told a fib on your blog ... I polished off some rusty memories, and realized that my workplace may not have subscribed to MessageManager until moving to a new building circa 1992-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only know a few words in French. I never took French after grade 5 or 6 because they dropped it from the circulum. I was good insane trying to figure all that stuff out in French.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.