Saturday, March 11, 2006

Open/Close

I confess dear friends that this weather is a bit demoralizing.

It's the third weekend that weather has played a big part of, and the dynamic is getting old.

People call asking is there church tomorrow or isn't there. For some it's not even a question, they'll walk to church if they have to. These are hearty souls who sometimes feel stronger about braving the elements than about being in church. :)

Then there are a bunch who would be fine either way. ?Just tell us what to do and we'll do it!? kinds of people who are easygoing.

Then there are those who insist that the weather is much to dangerous, and not fit for man nor beast. ?Take a serious hint from the Almighty and stay home once!? They would say.

As for me, I'm a odd mixture of all three.

I'm the guy who sees it as a challenge and opportunity to step up and put mother nature safely in her place. But I'm also the guy who sees that we don't need to meet together one week, to be the church. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, our not getting together one cold stormy Sunday won't kill us. (Unless you are a guy and stay home to shovel, then see this post...)

But I am looking at the parking lot. One entrance has been sealed by the city crews pushing the snow off the roads. That entrance is closed. And the second entrance, which comes through the back alley, is a deepening pit of loose snow, and a bit of a challenge to get through.

The yard is filling with snow. I with my higher van was able to plow through it a bit, barely. But it's Saturday afternoon, and the snow is still coming down thick and fast. By tomorrow morning it could be much worse. The weather says 2-4 cms of snow today, with another two tonight. Add that to what we received yesterday and was sitting on the yard, and hey it starts to add up.

So what does one do when facing this predicament? Well, he phones around to the other churches to see what they are doing because if they are staying open, he better be too.

:)

Anyway, I'd probably encourage those who have health conditions or those for whom driving is a bit tricky, just to stay home tomorrow. You don't need to risk life and limb just to hear me drone on for an hour. Watch some church service on TV or make some tea and read a good book. Turn on your favorite worship music, and enjoy all that God has given you.

I'll be at the church shoveling. (looking for my ticket to glory!)

1 comment:

  1. Oh shoot! And here we are making arrangements to get Auntie Florence to church for the morning! Just our luck and Leo and her will be stuck in a snowbank for the morning. Well - they can have their Sunday School class together if they do. Neither of them will be pushing or walking too far!

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.