Monday, June 26, 2006

To say I am exhausted would be a complete understatement.

I think I got here to the office around 9:30 this morning. I thought it would be a better place to accomplish a ton of work. I was right.

About a billion phone calls were made, buns were arranged for, 300 times I just stopped and wept, 100 of those times I was on the phone with someone so I just pretended I was taking a long time to talk slowly so they wouldn"t know I was crying, two million words were typed, and after it all, it doesn"t look like a lot of work was done.

Sheesh.




I miss him already.

I know I know, he"s better off and blah blah blah, but I miss him. He was my dad you know.
(Here we go again, where"s my kleenex...)



I worked so hard so that tomorrow I could just work at getting my family to Saskatoon in 6 pieces, and be present with them through this time.

The only official thing I have to do is the Committal Service, and it"s the only thing I want to do. Somewhere in the genetic code it"s written that a son"s gotta take care of his dad"s going. And I want to do that well. I am totally scared that I will start to ball on the first word, but we will see.

The other thing we are doing is that we are laying dad to rest. We will be taking responsibility to fill the grave, as a final act of love and community. So we will bring shovels and care for the body that held him all these 64 years.

When we cross your mind, would you send one up for us.
We"re gonna need it.



Nite.


11 comments:

  1. I shall remember to pray often for you in the following days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dad has a good son. How could you not weep? We will be praying and God will provide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A year ago in April, my family buried my Grandfather - my Dad's dad. Grandpa wanted to be buried in the country cemetary 1/4 mile from our farm. At first, I thought that it was the most morbid thing - my Dad having to use his backhoe to dig the hole, actually crawl INTO the hole and make sure it was square, and then having to "hide" the backhoe behind a hill, and make sure that he had a change of clothes in the car so that he could immediately backfill the grave in. But then I understood. It was the last thing that he could do for his Dad and it was so important to him to do it, and do it well. I see so much of that in your situation. We're praying for you and your family, and we hope that these final acts of love help to bring you some peace. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prayed for you this morning and will continue to pray. God's peace be with you today and in the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm crying with you........

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have been in my thoughts a lot over this last week. You guys continue to be there. Many prayers are being sent on your behalf.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of the things I'm glad we're doing- using shovels to gently tuck him in. I couldn't bear the thought of some stranger dumping loads of dirt. We'll just gently tuck him in. Great, here I go again, too. Where's the tissue?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You will be in my prayers every time you come to mind the next few days...and that will be a lot! You're a good son.

    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking and praying for you at this difficult time. I can only imagine what you are going through. Hope you find the strength you need to get through this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are thinking of you and your family and praying for you from over here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks guys,

    you are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.