Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Gettin me sum Edumacation

Well, I gotta say, getting ready for this course next week is shifting my feelings about it.

On one hand it looks like a course that was hand crafted just for me. You know, where my head and heart are at these days.

But on the other hand, hey, this is serious study here. Books to read and write evaluations on, online courses to plow through, other books to read, and people I am required to meet with...

The course looks like seven days of morning, noon and night classes and meetings. I think there are two evenings free all week.

I have, through the gracious care of a friend, secured a basement in which to stay, which is much less than the $50 US a night that I was looking at paying at the school. The basement is 3 to 4 blocks away, which may make it interesting for getting supper and getting back to the University for the evening course. I"m not even sure there will be any time to get on a bus and find a grocery store to purchase supplies for the week. I might be on a first name basis with the vending machine man by the weeks end.

But it is going to be good. Much of the week will be about looking into a mirror, and seeing what"s there, and not dying.

I really need that, and I"m looking forward to that luxury.

With a little grace and God"s help, I think I will try to get down to my jazz haunt down at 11 E. Hubbard Street. Andy"s Jazz Club always puts on a good evening"s worth of music. (The long time reader will recall the time I was there and Nancy Sinatra came in and sat at the table next to me. Yes, Nancy “These shoes were made for walking”? Sinatra. Bliss.)

The journey starts Friday evening, and ends the following Sunday.

I"ll try to squeeze off a few pictures so you can enjoy it too.

Nite.

9 comments:

  1. Enjoy..can't wait to hear about all the revelations and cool things you learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially wish you the "and not dying" bit.

    Hope it's fun AND useful too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are places to eat and grocery stores not all that far from campus. My daughter (who lives in Chicago and works at North Park) shops at Jewell a lot. I think it's on Foster. And she took me to a very tasty Mexican restaurant that's by campus but I can't remember the name. I'm thinking it's on Kedzie, though, on a corner.

    It sounds like a great course and Chicago is a great city. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys,

    It will be great.


    That Jewell I've been to. It's just a bit of a bus ride away, if I remember correctly.

    And true, one of the cool things about that area is that one block will be all Asian influence and the next Hispanic. So the food can be great.


    Linda, who is your daughter? Is she a Gilmore?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great week. Hope this is just what you need right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter is Megan Gilmore, who works in the Communications office (external relations). She's a 2005 NPU grad and all-around awesome young woman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jazz is cool, but you should try to catch some of the famous Chicago blues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one makes sence "One's first step in wisdom is to kuesstion everything - and one's last is to come to terms with everything."

    ReplyDelete
  9. He who pays the piper calls the tune,

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.