Friday, February 23, 2007

In Germany, Soccer success = babies

Last summer's mix of sun, beer and excitement during the football World Cup appears to have produced a massive hormone rush in German bedrooms, gardens and back alleys. Nine months on, birth clinics across the country that hosted the tournament are reporting a much-needed baby boom...

The football World Cup from June 9 to July 9 last year appears to have sparked a baby boom in the host country Germany, where hospitals are reporting a marked rise in imminent births nine months after the tournament, remembered here as a month-long fairy-tale of sunshine, parties and soccer success.

Pia Schmidt from Verna had been trying to get pregnant for two years and reckons that Germany's 1-0 victory over Poland, a nail-biting encounter decided in injury time, cracked it. "I can remember it exactly," Pia, 27, told Hessischer Rundfunk. "We had a barbecue, had invited friends and everyone was in a good mood." Her husband Sascha said: "And when Germany won, my wife and I went on celebrating after the game."

Their daughter Farina was born five weeks early on February 11 and has been celebrated as Germany's first World Cup baby. The others are due to follow from the end of February onwards.

I love it!

I really don't think Canadians would celebrate this much if Canada won a world hockey series.

For the whole story, click here.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's quite the stat. I can't imagine soccer making people amourous, but I digress. :)

    Hope you guys are well!

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.