Thursday, May 13, 2004

Brennan Manning on church


The ragamuffin church is a place of promise and possibility, of adventure and discovery, a community of compassion on the move, strangers and exiles in a foreign land en route to the heavenly Jerusalem. Ragamuffins are a pilgrim people who have checked into the hotel of earth overnight, bags unpacked and ready to go. Regrouping and retrenching, squatting and debating, are not their poses and postures.


In their community worship, they reject the insidious inclination to play it safe. The inveterate tendency to entrenchment, which betrays itself in clinging to the tried and true, is accurately discerned as a sign of distrust in the Holy Spirit. The breath of God will not be bottled, and the gallivanting Spirit will not be campused. The worshiping ragamuffin will not be mummified in middle age by living in the past and refusing to attend to the present. Creativity and flexibility will not give way to repetition and rigidity. The ragamuffin church is comfortable with periods of silence, sitting still, listening attentively, and experiencing the Devine presence. "Be still and know that I am God" is not merely a pious suggestion, but a divine injunction.


Yeah. that's where we're goin.


I think the thing I like about this, is that it is, for lack of a better word, risky. God is all safe, yet not safe at all. And when I settle in and hide out in a place that get's me just enough of God to get me into the pearly gates, I miss it all. I don't want to settle for a faith like that. I want to know his love and healing, to enjoy a life with God. 


Not an easy life, but a good life. A life of freedom in Christ.


 

6 comments:

  1. Ragamuffin is a very curious metaphore to use for the bride of Christ collective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, Randall,

    Why don't you just go there instead of always talking about change! Don't forget that soon you too will be over the hill too. And some young upcoming pastor will put you out to pasture like you seem to be doing ay Gateway! What goes around comes around never forget that, Randall

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toni;



    I gotta agree. I suppose it's finally a picture of a people well aware of their brokenness, and His saving Grace.



    Sandy;



    That's where we are going, always. The spirit of a group of people does not change overnight. So we keep moving towards a faith that is free in Christ. An experience with God that heals our deepest wounds, and restores us to community.



    I am well aware that time is against us, so we work hard knowing this fact. God has asked me, and I am willing to give up my time and energy doing this work.



    I'm not aware that I'm putting any pastor out to pasture around these parts. I am very encouraged and excited by the young men and women growing up into leadership positions here. Already I'm trying to pass on the torch to the next generations.



    I need to be faithful to my calling. To call others to life in Christ. To invite them to healing and wholeness, and a warm healthy community of faith.



    Gateway is becoming whole. You should come join us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toni - I like to think that maybe the bridegroom sees his bride as beautiful even if we are such a motley crew - because he sees us with love. On the flip side - we are looking at our perfect bridegroom. And it is freeing knowing that we, his church, though far from perfect, are loved like a bride.



    Randall - this was a great post. I love being part of this great risky business of following Christ. Even when there are sometimes little sharp daggers thrown our way. Still better to be dodging them than hiding out in a safe spot missing the action.



    Sandy - I wish you would risk it and come. None of us have anything better to offer Christ than you do - just our imperfect selves. We want to be a community that is as loving and supportive as we can be. We won't be perfect but we can try to do our best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say, Sandy, there did seem to be teeth in that comment. Maybe you need to talk through a few issues with someone?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post Randall. We're on the right bearing, so stay the course.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.