Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Good connections

Well, I'm back. Got back late last night and have spent the day trying to catch up to life, which seems to have sped up considerably.


Had an amazing time in Edmonton, relationally speaking. God really set the agenda, and I kinda followed along.


Monday, I spent a little time with my sister, who's in Edmonton getting some training. She bought me lunch, which was really nice. It was good just to spend some time with her. I left her with a little blessing.


Contact number 2 was with Jim Litteral. A guy with 20some year experience pastoring churches in New Zealand, who moved to Edmonton with his wife and kids, because God said so. I really appreciated his heart, just to wait on God. It really isn't always easy to wait, but he's being faithful there in Edmonton. God's gonna bless that faithfulness that's for sure. He's got a gentle shepherds heart, and a couple of hours with him went all too quickly. Anyway, after those two contacts I was already blessed and encouraged.


After that I stopped in a store to look at a souvenir or two. I was standing beside a lady and as I looked up at her, there was something familiar in her face. Then it hit me. I screwed up my courage and asked her, "Excuse me, is your name Barb...?"


She looked up at me trying to place me, and asked who I was. I told her Randy Friesen.


She did more staring, and then it began to dawn upon her. We had been at college together, 20 years ago!! We had been in the same musical groups and her husband and I were friends.


We quickly lost 15 minutes laughing and catching up, and I had to go. But I got the number of her husband and called him, making plans for lunch the following day.


How bizarre.


Day two, I met with a pastor friend, Sam Drew. It was a wonderful time of connection and encouragement. He's been in that church about the same length of time as we have been in Prince Albert. He has an amazing shepherding gift that he's learning to use and walk in and be comfortable with. (sounded a lot like my struggle!)


So many of the pastoral models don't fit us, yet we try to be people we were not made to be. Until, finally one day we sit back and say, "That just isn't me. I'm not a (Fill in the blank here...) Bill Hybels, or John McArthur." Or whatever your model is. And that realization is a freeing moment which allows you to begin being you. And you, with God's gifting, are a great blessing.


Tea with Sam went so fast, 2 and a half hours went by, and we had to part. But God sat with us there for that time, and I was encouraged.


Finally, I met Paul Stobbe, my old college friend for lunch. He looked well, inside and out. It was so encouraging to compare notes and follow the lines of Gods blessing in and through our lives. Into our families and churches and communities. And, the guy even bought me lunch!


It was one of those trips where God just went ahead and led the way. And I'm grateful He took me along.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.