Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Holidays, Day Three.

Well, it's only the morning yet but things are progressing.

I spent a good chunk of time with a friend from church this morning. He's in the hospital, quite sick with cancer, and he won't see another snowfall. We had a good time, and we talked of transitions and preparations. May God watch over him till we meet again.

Now I'm at the office doing some office things that need doing. (I'm typing this while I'm waiting for the printer to print, etc.) Yeah, I know, office on holidays? Somebody needs a piece of information that no one knows were it might be, except for moi.

Hopefully by noon we will be out of here.

Day three, halfway gone.

UPDATE: So, a few of us decided to head down to Lauralea"s mom and dad"s place.

This is where, theoretically, the new Satellite radio changes the road trip from one of boredom to one of amusement and entertainment, causing the hours to float away on the wings of musical blissfulness.

Wrong.

She likes the songs of the 50"s and 60"s.
I like the songs of the 70"s and some 80"s.

Therein lay the struggle.

Surprisingly, we found unanimity with the Bluegrass channel.

Yes, yes, I know. I can hear the collective groan out there. But the thing I think I like about it, is the harmonies. It"s music that"s made with beautiful vocal and guitar harmonies.

That"s also one reason why I like so much of the 70"s stuff. The bands back then used their voices to harmonize. Think Boston and “More than a Feeling,”? or mostly anything by ELO, or ABBA.

How many couples can say that they found common ground, in bluegrass?

8 comments:

  1. Don't forget to take off your watch! No time watching while vacationing - I think it's in the Policy Manual.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, bluegrass, now you're talking my language. The love of my life tolerates this taste. We have many differences (e.g. I like dark chocolate, she likes milk chocolate) but hopefully they aren't irreconcilable, and there are many things we agree on (e.g. weak coffee is an abomination).
    May you and yours continue to find harmony amidst your differences, and may your holidays be restful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison Krauss and the Union Station band and Kasey Chambers are my favorites. (make me homesick, though)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, when Marc and were first getting to know each other, and he discovered my Gaither fetish, it was the bluegrass music in the videos that he liked. Since then, we've spent a good amount of time pushing songs out of our nose for our own amusement. (And, I know it's not bluegrass, but... have we ever done our Neil Young duet for you guys? Good times...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...I was sure I'd left a comment here earlier today. Maybe the spam filter picked me up...

    No groans from me. I love bluegrass. I have a Pandora station dedicated to bluegrass. The Isaacs rock (bluegrass group that always sings on the Gaither Homecoming Videos), as does Alison Krauss and her ilk. Even Dolly Parton has some good bluegrass stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bluegrass done properly, beautiful Love the harmony

    ReplyDelete
  7. Overdriven Banjo. Yeeee Harrrr.

    :-`

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.