Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Been waiting long have you?

The sun is streaming through my office window today and what yesterday was a full blown, storming dump of snow, is now a blazing plane of melting whiteness. The breeze through the small opening of the window reminds me that in spite of the dump of snow, it is March, and March promises Spring. Maybe.

It feels a bit like spring inside too. Inside my spirit. Change is stirring about and fresh things are on the way. It feels like that in there these days. But even in there, down in my spirit, it looks like there is still snow piled all around, but the promise of more is everywhere.

The promise.
Yes it is March and spring has it's promises, but it's still difficult to live with piles of snow laying around. Snow that is slippery and cold and can be nasty to manage.

Same with the heart's promises. Living with piles of wet, cold, and slippery inside your heart while the promise of warmth, dry and solid foundations are in the air doesn't make them arrive immediately. You still have to wait for the fulfillment of the promise, and in that waiting you are made and formed.

Waiting isn't any fun, just ask any child waiting for Christmas morning, but it is one of those parts of life that you grow and develop. The ability to delay gratification I think the thick books call it.

Waiting on God is like that too. People in the Bible used to wait on God a lot, especially David. He was forever waiting on the Lord. And we today think waiting is not necessary. It's certainly frowned upon whether its a line at the bank or getting our supper from a fast food place. Waiting is seen as a waste.

But what if David was right and that there is value in waiting on the Lord? That perhaps things happen there in that waiting that is life. Maybe things are heard or done inside of us as we wait that would never happen if we never waited?

So here I am, waiting for things to shift and change in my spirit like it feels is going to happen. Changes are coming here, and so for now, I am waiting. Waiting on God I guess.

And while I am waiting, I'm praying for the shifting and changing to be gracious and cause little damage and be tended to by God. I want what comes to be of His doing at His initiative and His prompting.


Yeah, a great many things are up in the air it feels like right now.

But before I start to mix my metaphors, I better quit. The youth are due here any moment.


If you are waiting on something these days let me encourage you, be patient and wait well.



4 comments:

  1. "So here I am, waiting for things to shift and change in my spirit like it feels is going to happen. Changes are coming here, and so for now, I am waiting. Waiting on God I guess.

    And while I am waiting, I'm praying for the shifting and changing to be gracious and cause little damage and be tended to by God. I want what comes to be of His doing at His initiative and His prompting."

    It's funny how sometimes our lives mirror each other. I just wrote a post asking 'who wants to be afraid' and leadership, changing in a community with traditions and the need to trust as change takes place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)

    It is funny. Sometimes I feel like you are the other guy in the waiting room with me just waiting to be called in through the doors next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While you're there, could you lend me a little of your graciousness with people - I'll give it back in a couple of weeks, honest.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your blog. keep at it...

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.