Thursday, March 31, 2016

On resurrection day, not just Jesus came back to life.

It was magical outside yesterday morning.
As I left the house to walk to my office at 8:30, it was overcast outside, but the first thing you noticed was how warm it felt. It was +7C out there.

Perfectly overcast with a low sky, surprisingly warm for a March morning, and still, without a whisper of a breeze.

As I said, perfect.

And I was alone in the office, everyone was away for the day. So it was still inside too.

I had room to be still in my spirit. There were emails to answer, I had some good conversations on the phone. But mostly there was room for me to recuperate. I needed yesterday.

I walked and prayed through the yard and the cemetery, and managed to get a lot of work done. It was good.

I realized that this past weekend with its deep rooted tensions for the church, was a much bigger deal than I was initially aware. Yes it was Easter and I was distracted by that. But there were also some things going on behind behind the scenes. Spiritual things. Struggles. Tensions. There were old patterns being broken, and difficult history being dealt with well.

I needed the stillness of yesterday to consider those things. To heal up a bit, but also to look back and see what was at work. God was showing me some insights and offering me hope. What was grace was that the things that needed to be broken for us, were broken, and the seeds that were planted for a good direction down the road, were planted all on Easter weekend. A weekend of resurrection, a weekend of life, a Day of power released into the world.

Yeah, I'd say that this past week has been our toughest week here in this place. But I think it may also have been our best, in terms of a future here. This place in the field may have just turned a significant corner, and its best days may lay ahead of her.

And I guess I needed some peace and stillness to see that.

Still much work to be done and so we are back at it. Praying and preaching and walking along side those who are willing of my presence. Just as it always is and always has been for pastors.

May you know peace and love this day too. :)



P.S. Oh and you wonder about the title?
Not just Jesus comes back to life on Easter Sunday, but it seems others do to, including churches. Check this out, from the bible.

Matthew 27
50 And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.
51 At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split 52 and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53 They came out of the tombs after Jesus’ resurrection and went into the holy city and appeared to many people.


No comments:

Post a Comment



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.