Monday, June 05, 2023

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well

The other day somebody asked me how am I doing? 

Old man, in sorrow, on the threshold of eternity, 1890 Van Gogh

I always struggle with that question, because I struggle to be honest, to be truthful, to be vulnerable, or do I just create a false sense of reality that will get me past the dark places I don’t want to go when I’m asked that question.

So the other day, when I was asked, I paused, and I asked the Lord, how do I answer that question?

The answer immediately came to me. “In faith you are fantastic. In feelings, it is a challenge.”  And that’s the correct answer isn’t it? Because by faith, I know, everything will be fine, and all shall be well. But it’s my feelings, emotionally, physically, etc. that are a challenge for me. 

Julian of Norwich in 1365 in the middle of the black plague said. "He said, Thou shalt not be tempested, thou shalt not be travailed, thou shalt not be distressed; He said: Thou shalt not be overcome." And "All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well."

Unknown title van Gogh

The body feels what it feels, and the mind loves to feel what it feels. But that’s not the reality on which we build our lives. The greater reality, as many have written, is what is unseen. The spirit brings life.

Yes indeed, in my faith, I am fantastic, but in my feelings, life is a challenge.











1 comment:



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.