Thursday, December 21, 2023

Vroooooooooooom, where did that go mate?? Yeah time travel is hard on the body

Tuesday was the 30th anniversary of our ordination, with the EMMC.  

I want to say how did that happen? How did thirty some years of pastoring pass by so suddenly?

I think of all the bible studies and small group gatherings, all the people visited. I recall the faces of the people who have come to faith. Some dramatically and some with simple faith. 

I think of all the various committee and board work I’ve been involved with. City and town ministerials, denominational boards and event planning. Bringing world class Christian speakers to our communities. Starting intentional opportunities for pastors to get together to pray and build relationships. 

I remember the calls announcing deaths, some In the middle of the night. The calls to ask me, can you help? The phone calls from hospitals, the RCMP, chaplains, asking if I can come now. 

The holy moments of being with people as they pass from this life to the next. Then being present with the families who have been left behind. Weeping. 

Walking with people through their critical illnesses as far as we could go with them. Praying. Driving to the hospital each day. Praying. Saying good bye. 

The funerals with families that wouldn’t stop arguing, or squabbling over the quality of the casket. Or being in the hearse with the casket and the funeral director, driving in circles around the cemetery looking for the open ground and finding none because it wasn’t dug. 


Then the excited couples who would come to me after a service all excited because they were getting married and wanted me to do the wedding.  Or the couples who have been trying for so long to have a baby and Lauralea and I would pray over them and they would call with the good news. 

The church meetings, oh all the meetings.  Board, Counsel, Audio-Video, nomination committee, worship committee, Deacon board, Trustee board, Christian Education board, Budget, Congregational, Annual, Pastoral Relations committee, Prayer, Youth, Staff…


I remember with joy the baptisms. People new to faith who wanted to enter the water to show their desire to follow God. The moments when somebody "Got it."  And in that moment, everything changed.

I remember the sermons preached. As a young pastor searching for and praying for that one amazing message that would change lives. Then growing and finding there was not one message like that. So then choosing to stay faithful to the message that God called me to speak, again and again. Over 2000 sermons and they were all the same really. All about Gods mercy and all about Gods love. 

I will be surprised if I am still preaching in another 30 years. I mean I'll give it my best shot, but God only knows the times. 




No comments:

Post a Comment



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.