Monday, November 18, 2002

En Route

November 16/02 10:04 pm
Calgary Greyhound Bus Terminal
Gate #13


As l write this update, I'm sitting in a Greyhound bus terminal in Calgary Alberta.

The CBC board meetings I was involved in went well. We got a lot accomplished this weekend.


Once or twice a year I need to fly to my meetings. And I have observed that the People in airports are the Beautiful People.

They Just look good, like they've got life together. Clothing Looking sharp, hair in it's rightful place, smooth. Tanned skin, drawn tightly over well defined muscles. Happening kind of people, you know?


Well, the opposite of an airport, is a Bus Depot.

The poorly dressed, smelly people. People with pale white skin, with deep etches of life marking it. people who have been stuck in a grinder yet somehow, come out still alive.

Then there's the regular people, Looking for a cheap ride to another city, for a multitude of reasons.

Two boys (teens for sure) sit behind me. They are trying to Decide where to go. The one wants to go to Montreal. His buddy is less than impressed with that idea. I guess his French isn't so great.

Across from me sits a girl, cross legged in her chair. Her long brown hair flows out from under a green and orange toque. With her small glasses, she reminds me of my daughter. If I was a swearing guy, I'd swear that her backpack is bigger than she is.

I send up a prayer for her.
I send up a prayer for my daughter and her future travels.

On my right is a row of "TV" Chairs. Each chair has a Black+ white TV on it that plays 15 minutes for a quarter.

The first chair hosts an Alberta farm boy. Complete with cowboy boots and a farm Implement Dealer cap on his head. He carries his bag, his knapsack and his full size pillow in a blue checked pillowcase with him as he walks over to the machine and buys a Pepsi. Rightly warned, he trusts no one in the city.

Chair number two hosts a guy, a bit older than I. Leather Jacket, nice haircut, eight year old glasses, looking for a cheap ride to his hometown.

Chair number three hosts a 19 something girl, rings on four of five fingers. Very fashion sensitive, nice leatherette coat with a fake fur trim, reading a fashion rag.

I watch her as a 23 year old redhead, her exact opposite, approaches and asks it she can have seat number four.

Number 3 says sure, and as number four gets settled, number 3 roles her eyes toward heaven and lets loose a small scowl.

People are interesting creatures to watch when they think no one is watching. Lauralea always reminds the kids that Character is what you do when you think no one is watching. I think she's right.

But, my bus is leaving. Hope I'm able to sleep.


So, that's the news from gate #13, Calgary Bus Depot

g'nite.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.