Tuesday, November 12, 2002

Perilous crossings

I don't usually use the daily devotional called "Our Daily Bread," but this morning I checked it out and it was encouraging.


November 12, 2002
Dangerous Crossings

Read: Psalm 77:16-20
Your way was in the sea, Your path in the great waters, and Your footsteps were not known. ?Psalm 77:19

I don't wade in swift streams anymore. The bottom's too slippery, the current's too strong, and my old legs aren't what they used to be.

So many challenges that I once took on readily are now too difficult for me. Like the psalmist, I lose sleep sometimes, wondering how I can negotiate them (Psalm 77:1-4).

Then I remember the "works of the Lord," His "wonders of old" (v.11). His "way was in the sea, [His] path in the great waters," though He left no footprints behind (v.19).

That's the way it is with God. Although you can't see Him, He is surely there. Unseen, He leads His people "like a flock" (v.20). He does not fear the currents and storms of life, for His strength and courage are infinite.

And there's more: The Shepherd leads us through the help of other people. He led Israel "by the hand of Moses and Aaron" (v.20). He leads us in the wise counsel of a father or mother, in the strong grip of a godly friend, in the loving encouragement of a caring husband or wife, in the gentle touch of a young child.

Good hands are reaching out to us. Our Lord is a tough and tender Shepherd who leads through perilous crossings to the other side. Have you put your hand in His? ?David Roper


God tells us to burden Him with what burdens us.
___________________________________________


Just a good reminder, and a good start to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.