Monday, June 23, 2003

A hobby please

Last week during and following our discussion group on the theme of personal care as a pastor, I found I was a bit overwhelmed by it all.

 

One of the reasons for feeling this way, is that my life has been whittled down to much to just two things. My family/home life, and my work/church life. I need a place or task for my emotional side to be replenished.

 

Physically I'm not to bad and spiritually I'm running about 70-80%. Study and reflection and discussion with friends and counsellors seems to point to this more and more, emotional tiredness.

 

One of the ways I want to address this is to try to create a third place in life, a place to be renewed in my ... what, my emotional wellbeing? ...

 

Anyhoo, I'm looking for a hobby.

 

Something that I enjoy giving time to. Something that's a bit creative, renews my heart kinda thing. Lauralea thinks we should look for something we would enjoy doing together, so I suggested sex, but that's not what she meant.

 

Bill Hybels flies a plane and has a sailboat/yacht thing that he uses. I noticed that the neighbour has his old outboard motorboat for sale... hmm.

 

Jeff Anderson, a good friend, has tried to take up gardening as a similar pursuit. But alas, I hate cutting the lawn and weeding and getting down on my hands and knees to see if its a weed or a new seedling. The day I can move into a condo will be a day of great freedom for me. And as for the green thumb, well, lets just say that I've had 3 plants in my office in the last three years and each has died from lack of care. (Did I mention that they were all cactus')

 

I tried rollerblading and my first time out I fell and was off them for a month. I haven't been back on since.

 

I enjoy the creative things I can do on the computer, but that doesn't really get me out of my chair or out of the house at all.

 

I mean, apart from the sex thing, I'm stumped.

 

So, help me out here, what are your hobbies? What renews your heart, your creative energy? What makes you feel alive and hopeful. Click on the "comment" below and tell me what you do for a hobby. Or, if you're so inclined, tell me what I should try as a hobby. But no "Scrapbooking" or selling Amway (Not that there's anything wrong with that!!!)

8 comments:

  1. Bowling? Try two words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crocheting...has given me a lot of joy in these uncertain times...and hey, at least you would come by in honestly....its in the genes......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Randall,

    Why don't you try something like photography. You can get out to do this so it would not confine you to your house. You could use your creative side. You could share it with others.

    I've seen you running around with a camera so you probably already like this a bit. And I bet Lauralea would appreciate it better than the alternative that you keep coming up with. Or maybe not - women can be funny that way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, women CAN be funny that way!



    Actually, I have been thinking about that area a bit. I've been interested in photography since High School, but the only equipment I've been able to afford is cheap stuff, and I haven't been able to get my own Dark room going, which I would like.



    But last Christmas the church gave us some money, and we wanted to purchase something to use and enjoy. After looking lots, we got a Kodak Digital camera. This has been quite enjoyable for me, and, surprisingly Lauralea too. She's great with a camera and she enjoys it.



    Soo, this is definitely an option. I mean Crocheting or Photography? Nice try Robyn! and good suggestion Linea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Skateboarding and Snowboarding work for me. Rapping is fun and I need to do it more. I don't think this really helps at all though. The photography thing sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Golf. Go out, keep playing until you hit that one great shot that will make you come back next week. Walk off the course and then go home and read "Golf in the Spirit" by M Scott Peck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Randall, try mountain biking. You're considerably less likely to fall off than with skateboarding/rollerblading, and it'll get you fitter. And before you think it's for the 'kids' I'm 41 and go out riding with a (mostly) younger bunch of guys, plus my son, who's 15.



    It's a great way to meet people outside the church too. I helped start a club (www.1xv.co.uk) with a bunch of friends that I rode with. They all know I'm a Christian, but are quite happy with that, and accept that I don't do Sunday morning rides etc. We all discuss things on bikemagic (www.bikemagic.com) and there are a few other Christians there too, so debates can get a little 'lively' at times (we've recently covered homosexuality in the church!).



    And Canada has some wonderful countryside, although to my shame, I don't know what it's like round your way. Everyone here talks about the North Shore, Deep Cove and Whistler as MTB heaven. Mail me at the address above if you want to talk about it.



    Sorry about the essay. Take care.



    Toni Ertl

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.