Wednesday, July 02, 2003

Welcome to summer

Life seems to be ripping by this week. Monday and Tuesday off, well, practically off.

There was a death of an elderly church member who hasn't been at church since I've been here in the past five years. I've visited her at her home and at the hospital, but Friday she finished her course. So, I've been meeting with the family.

I've never done a funeral with a Balloon Service before, or a Piper, but it's all gonna happen this week.

In unrelated news, I've been sleeping fitfully, restlessly. It's been feeling like something's in the air, something foreboding. So I've been praying in the evenings and nights. Just kinda laying in bed, unable to sleep, trying to find words for the burden I'm feeling, calling out to God for safety, protection, peace.

Last night I was still at it till, oh 2am ish, and fell into a light sleep till just before 4am. At 4, fire trucks started shooting past our house (Do they really need full sirens in the middle of the night???) Lauralea got up and tried to see, they stopped near our house. It looked like they were working on the school, our school, Princess Margaret School. So I got up and threw on some pants and a shirt and went out into the misty morning air. I walked around the school and saw that they were working at the back of Hunt's Fine Foods. My heart fell as this realization sank in. Our friends own it and went through a terrible fire just a few years ago. I ran up and met the owner and his son and their wive's all standing at the front of the store. Someone had started the huge garbage container next to the store on fire. It had been a very close call. To, to close for all concerned. And the son and his wife and family live above the store. Good grief.

By now it's nearly 5 am and my alarm goes off at 5:30. Crap.

So, I'm up and off with 2-3 hours sleep.

Prayer time at 6:30, at the hospital by 8:30 visiting people, the day moving well, I should have lot's of time to prep for the funeral, leave the hospital lot, gotta get to the office,  car stalls. Dead. Crap, Crap.

Call towtruck, get the car towed to my garage, where the owner see's me and says, "Morning Randall!" You know it's bad when your mechanic knows your first name.

He can work on it tomorrow. But, bless him (Perry's Automotive Prince Albert), he gives me a ride home.

And thus began my bike riding day.

STOP.

My backside hurts, my wallet will hurt real bad tomorrow, and I'm T I R E D.

So, that's enough for today, Wednesday, July 2, 2003


Goodnight.



2 comments:

  1. What's a balloon service? Obviously, I've never done one either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. uh, it's gonna look like this, as we release these ballons into the sky, it will be like us releasing gramma into God's arms.



    If I'm expected to blow them up, I'm putting the piper to work as well!

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.