Saturday, August 09, 2003

Lesson's my kids taught me

My kids teach me so much about God and his relationship with me.


Yesterday, I wanted to get some yard work done, so I invited the available, often willing one to come and join me. I wanted to spend time with him, doing something together. I was thinking of going to get a treat after the hard work, to celebrate what we'd done.


I didn't want him to do it just for the treat, because then he get's fixated on the treat, and not on the enjoyment we could get from just finishing a hard task together. So I only hinted at the treat, after the hard work.


Well, I started the hard weeding and he started cutting the lawn.


The sun got hotter, the work got harder, and he was loosing hope. I tried to encourage him, but finally he gave out. I was a bit disappointed that he didn't get it all done, but I love him, he's my son. So I let him go in and have a shower.


Then his brother came out and was willing to take up where his brother left off - till his friends came round. But I held him to his offer to finish. And he did.


Some lessons?


Sometimes I get so fixated on the reward that I miss the joy of the journey, walking and working with Him.
Sometimes I wanna quit working with Him, cause I'm sick and tired of it all.
If I loose hope and quit, he still loves me, I'm His boy, but my reward may be different.
He's still out there, looking for the lost 1, with the 99 safe, inside, not working with Him.
The one who starts when the work is almost done gets the same reward as the one who worked all day.


Just some low-key thoughts, from a pastor on holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.