Friday, September 19, 2003

Six Year talk

I spent some time today with a friend from church. It was great. We shared, listened, asked questions, learned history and prayed together, it was very cool.


It wasn't till later on I realized that that talk had taken nearly 6 years.


I remembered when we first came here, the person I spent the time with was careful with their heart. The church had had a few pastors come and go and they were nice enough, just not willing to commit to me to early. I remember saying to Lauralea that some of our real work wouldn't even begin till we had been here five years. We would need to prove ourselves to some of these who had been hurt in the past.


I remembered that today, after our long visit. That those last 5 years of working and being here began to see fruit.


And it felt good, real good.


Blessings.

1 comment:

  1. I have a suspicion this could also be why you've been hearing so much grumbling recently. I've noticed that people are almost always friendly and 'warm' when you first meet them. They reveal the dark side (if they have one) once you are considered familiar and safe. Of course with some you never see this; either because they're pretty much OK and sorted or because they're completely petrified of letting any of the rubbish out.



    I remember thinking a few years back "why does this relationship seem to have gone so difficult? Why am I getting a hard time now?". The answer was, the person in question had stopped using their normal mask and was showing what was really inside. I should have been honoured to have moved to the box marked 'friend', although I occasionally wistfully remembered the smiles, witty comments and laughter I was rewarded with before.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.