Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Finishing well

I think I've mentioned it here before that my 80'something grandfather is fighting with cancer.


It's lung cancer, irony of ironies, as he's never smoked in his life, and is proud of that fact.


Anyway, last Saturday we went in to Saskatoon and visited at home with him and grandma. It was a good visit. He was clear and remembered all the names he had for the kids and their recent activities. He was amazed how much Thomas has changed in just a few months, which he has.


He's been a  minister, an evangelist all his life, and many will be seated at the banquet in heaven because he introduced them to his heavenly father. But, now he is suddenly feeble and frail. His full head of hair is gone, and he is weak to the point of needing help getting out of bed.


He hugged and blessed each of us as we left on Saturday. For some, the words will probably turn out to be prophetic, for others they were words of peace, words of love. He and I were able to spend some time alone, talking over a few things that we needed to communicate to one another. Details.  But the communication seemed complete. He was saying goodbye.


Though they said he had months to go yet, and he may, Sunday morning he was taken to the hospital. Today it seems his body is shutting down, bit by bit.


He has been a constant in my life these 40 years. I will miss that. I will miss him. I will miss his daily prayers. But I know where he's headed and I don't begrudge him that blessing.


Some of his words to me were these: 



And so I solemnly urge you before God and before Christ Jesus who will someday judge the living and the dead when he appears to set up his Kingdom: Preach the word of God. Be persistent, whether the time is favorable or not. Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching.
For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to right teaching. They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever they want to hear. They will reject the truth and follow strange myths.
But you should keep a clear mind in every situation. Don't be afraid of suffering for the Lord. Work at bringing others to Christ. Complete the ministry God has given you.
 
As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God. The time of my death is near. I have fought a good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. And now the prize awaits me the crown of righteousness that the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on that great day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his glorious return.      2 Tim. 4:1-8


So I shall.


 

3 comments:

  1. A wonderful blessing to hold onto. Thank God for parents and grandparents who don't just tell, but demonstrate to their children & grandchildren what it means to be a disciple. God bless you and your family in the coming days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are blessed having a grandfather like him. And you do,I think, carry on his legacy to you. He is the grandfather who promised to pray for you as you went into the ministry? I think he will be going to meet his best friend. May God guide him gently over to the heavenly side and give you the comfort you need too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a statement about people like him that has remained with me "he served God in his generation".



    Of course you'll miss him, but if he does fade suddenly, it's God's blessing, rather than taking months to decline in great pain as is often the case with cancer suffers. Will keep thinking of you at this time, Randall.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.