Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Thank you.

First of all, I want to thank each of you who covered us today. Thank you so much. Your ministry today was profound, and lovely. Thank you.


The day went very well indeed.


We started at the old country graveyard, carved out of a farmers field years and years ago. He was buried within a few miles of where he was born. He had such a public life and ministry that we decided to keep the internment for family and close friends. This was great. It allowed us time with each other, and time to say goodbye.


Out there on that prairie, with the sun high in the big blue sky, and the birds calling out, we laid his "Container" to rest. It was a wonderful, hopeful, big sky day.


Then the family gathered in Saskatoon and shared lunch together.


The memorial service at 2 pm went well too. Hundreds of people came, it was full. We sang and shared stories. We laughed and cried, and it was all good.


Then I got up to talk/preach, and God was there, again. Such freedom, such joy, such a release in preaching the Word. A few moments I nearly lost it, but God gave grace, and strength, and we made it through ok.


Grandma was unable to join in any of the days activities. She was in her bed, with a nurse nearby. Lauralea and I shared a few precious moments with her last night. We talked and prayed together. In a clear moment she told us she loved us, and we gave her release, and prayed for her.


Tonight, after the funeral, she was rushed to the hospital. The doctor says she's nearly done too.


May God take her home soon too.


Some really cool things happened today too.


I met some old friends I went to High School with!! Geri was a girl in the grade above me, but we were friends through school. Judy was in my youth group, and I hadn't seen her in over 20 years. Both have become really cool people. It was a joy to meet them again.


I met some people who visit this space occasionally too. It was cool to meet Gloria Reimer again. She's always fun. And I met Diabetic Girl. (I nearly had to do an intervention because she was holding a jelly pastry at the time and hey, I care.) Those were neat contacts, neat people.


And all the old friends we saw. Friends who cared enough to travel great distances to sit with us and say that they loved him too.


It was a good day indeed. And all I have to say is Thanks, thanks so much. You are a blessing.


 

1 comment:

  1. Glad it went well for you.



    In some ways I'm sorry to hear about your Grandma, yet in their position I would want the same, I think.



    Once again, peace to you all.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.