Tuesday, October 19, 2004

20 years ago today...

20 years ago today was a Friday, and I had a hot date with one Lauralea Hedman.


I was living in Aylmer Ontario at the time, and she was living in the next town, Orwell, where she was teaching at the Aylmer Bible School.


We were going to make a big night of it. Head up the road to London and hit the mall there, and do some window shopping, which we did alot of in those days.


I picked her up at the school, and she slid over next to me, like she always did, and off we went to the mall.


I remember the old Woolco store was located in the mall, right next to a Peoples Jewelers. So I sent her on an errand into the large store, while I ran into Peoples to pick up a package they had set aside for me.


I hid it in my pocket, and went off to find her.


We completed our shopping and began to head back to Aylmer. We wanted to stop in St. Thomas at the new Burger King for an evening snack, which we did.


I remember ordering a cheeseburger, which I also remember being too nervous to eat.


With hands trembling, I reached into my pocket and pulled out this velvet covered box. I recall somewhat summarizing our relationship, trying to steady my voice. Then, right there, over the cheeseburger and rootbeer, I asked her to marry me.



And she said yes, with her voice, and her eyes.



I don't recall much after that, except her smile, and the lightness in my spirit.
After 20 years, she still smiles, and brings a lightness to my spirit.


Happy Anniversary Lauralea, and Thank you.

16 comments:

  1. Love is something so divine,

    Description would make it less;

    It?s what I feel, but can?t define,

    It?s what I know, but can?t express.



    Congratulations you two. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love is blindness

    I don't want to see

    Won't you wrap the night

    Around me

    Oh my love

    Blindness - U2



    Congratulations! God bless and many more years of happiness to you both!



    Witter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary! Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwwww! What at sweet story. You guys sound so young and in love. Happy Anniversary to the still sweet couple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe my pastor is a stud! Not that I ever doubted that fact.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've set the standard high, my brother, you've set the standard high.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhhhh, what a sensitive guy. I love to hear a man tell the story of love.......a rare thing. Thank you. Burger King no less.............

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fancy Schmancy Burger King :) haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I can't believe my pastor is a stud! Not that I ever doubted that fact."



    Randall - how long have you been holding this man's collar?



    You old romantics, both of you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh, Greg is much to far away for me to reach his neck!



    He's in college in another province.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The only possible improvement to this romantic story would have included square burgers at Wendy's.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the way Phil thinks...



    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, you bring joy to my heart...Let me see if I understand this correctly, you took your beloved Lauralea to Burger King, had cheeseburgers and root beer, asked her to marry you,AND SHE SAID YES!!!...who says God doesn't work miracles! (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Be sure how to get Marc to describe for you how he continued my family's "tradition" of being proposed to in bedrooms. My dad's exact words to my mom were "Can I give it to you now?" -- meaning the ring. Maybe he'll blog about it on April 2nd.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.