Monday, December 06, 2004

Suppose to be a day off today, but I dunno

A very small, generally unnoticed thing happened which just reminded me again that I am not on the same footing with the church I attend, as others are. It's hard to explain, but I guess it's like moving to a small town, and the small things they do which remind you that you are still an outsider, and you will be for 35 years or so.


Being a pastor moves you to a different level, and it's difficult to be one of the group, even if you try. You are one of the only people who attend regularly, who could be asked not to return. Now, that's not happening here and it's not in the works, but that concept can just do weird things to a person. 


When it happens it makes me feel lonely, like I'm spiritually homeless or something. Usually it's ok, one of the things you expect when doing this work. But today it's been harder.


 


Maybe it's been harder today because today I'm also concerned for a friend. They are going through a rough patch. I was up a good chunk of the night prayin and thinking about them. Today's been the same, a kind of constant prayer being offered up all day. The need is great and I'm really worried for them.


I learned in church yesterday that when you are worried about something, talk to God about it, even if it's a small thing. Thank him for what he's done in the past, and he will restore peace to you. So I'm talking to God about it, all day talking. And I'm watching for the peace to come.


So, if you think about me, maybe mention my friend to God.


 


And I just picked up the phone from the Hospital, which means I'm on call this week. I'm a bit nervous. Last time I was on call there was a snowfall, and when the skies open and bringeth forth snow, out of shape men go out to their driveways and shovel and fall down with major heart attacks.


So, as you can tell by the photo a few posts below, it snowed all day yesterday and all last night.


Let me exhort you, especially you out of shape types, either let your wives go shovel the driveway, or borrow her hair blowdryer and get out your lawnchair. Plant the chair in the middle of your driveway and turn on the blowdryer, and simply melt the snow away.


Now that's using your head.

2 comments:

  1. now if you drop the hair dryer in wet snow...could you get electricuted? ...just wondering which is more treatable at the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be encouraged Pastor/friend. You are loved.... probably more than you even know. No, you haven't been here since the beginning of (Gateway)time but you ARE successful in what you are doing. I was reading last night the account in Luke where the angel came to Mary, telling her the news of her impending pregnancy by the Holy Spirit and her reaction. At the top of the page I had written the definition of success as being "following and doing the will of God"....as Mary did.....and as you are doing. We thank God for you.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.