Friday, December 24, 2004

Twas the night before Christmas...

Well, tonight is here, finally. One more sleep... and I need it, that's for sure.


Tonight we had our candle light service of Carols and Readings, which I always enjoy. And the people seem to enjoy it too.


Tomorrow we will try to get to Saskatoon to see my family a bit. Tonight the roads are bad, it's kinda been raining and snowing, and cold, all at the same time, go figure. Right now the snow is coming down like crazy, and I'm nervous. I can't believe what a nervous nelly I've become. I used to get into a car at college in Northern Alberta, and the weather was -35C, and drive for 60 hours to Southern Ontario for Christmas, through every kind of weather you could imagine. Now I get weird over an hours drive south. Go figure.


I am looking forward to the week of holidays I have left. I'm looking forward to hanging out with the kids and sleeping in and making a few meals again. I think they were forgetting who I was. I'll soon fix that. After I beat them at a few games of Monopoly they'll remember that I am THE MASTER OF THE MONOPOLY UNIVERSE!


Ahem, yeah, like they would say, Whatever...


Been praying for some people that are on my mind today too. Some are here and some out there. Some I see every week, some I haven't seen in years, and some I've never met in person. But God's been stirring them in my heart and sleep and spirit, so I pray. It is good when I feel a burden to pray for someone, and I pray, and God releases the burden as the prayer is being answered. It's good.


Anyway to the title of this post. It is the night before Christmas, so in the words of Luke, spoken by Linus, let us remember what Christmas really is about.



And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed. And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city. And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; because he was of the house and lineage of David, To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.


And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered. And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.


And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.


And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.  And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.


Now to you and yours, may God bless you with Grace to receive and understand his great gift given to you.


Peace, God's peace, be upon your homes and hearts this season.

4 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, Randall (and your family)! Sorry I missed the candle & carol service--I would have like to go, but we had to do things a little differently this year due to family work schedules.



    Have a great day. Remember: if the dice is rolled it's too late to collect rent! (By the way, one of my gifts was "Possumopoly"--Red Green monopoly!)



    I think Johanna helped me at Zellers yesterday (assuming she works there), but I wasn't 100% sure it was her, so I didn't say anything (but probably made a fool of myself staring).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to you and yours!



    Greetings from the warmish South, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Randall - thankyou for taking the time out of you day today to call me. That really meant an awful lot.



    I'm impressed by your ability to track down my number too, considering we're ex-directory to all but the church and a few friends. Barrie and May were a good choice to call.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.