Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Nouwen on Finding Solitude

"All human beings are alone. No other person will completely feel like we do, think like we do, act like we do. Each of us is unique, and our aloneness is the other side of our uniqueness. The question is whether we let our aloneness become loneliness or whether we allow it to lead us into solitude. Loneliness is painful; solitude is peaceful. Loneliness makes us cling to others in desperation; solitude allows us to respect others in their uniqueness and create community.


Letting our aloneness grow into solitude and not into loneliness is a lifelong struggle. It requires conscious choices about whom to be with, what to study, how to pray, and when to ask for counsel. But wise choices will help us to find the solitude where our hearts can grow in love."

8 comments:

  1. I like that.....and I'm working one it.....to be alone and not lonely! I was always one to need people, probably from what I could receive from them - good or bad. Now, I'm learning to be with folks, not because I need them but because I care about them and I'm not looking to receiving from them as a pre-requisite. Solitude is only beginning to feel comfortable to me....but I shall continue on with the struggle. Nouwen puts it well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read that one yesterday. Good stuff. Is this going to be a race to see who can get the Nouwen quote onto their page first? ;)



    Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not at all sure that's my experience, but then I've always been different from everyone else anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What book did you get this quote from? The more quotes I hear from Nouwen, the more I think I should be reading his stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carol;



    As much as I'd like to say what a prolific Nouwen reader I am, I cannot.



    I signed up for the daily reading, so I get a little dose each day. Sometimes it's right where I'm living, and sometimes it's not.



    You can sign up for the daily or weekly emails too.

    Check it out here.



    http://www.henrinouwen.org/home/free_eletters/

    ReplyDelete
  6. What?? These daily readings are lining up almost exactly with his books Bread for the Journey, which is a book of 365 daily thoughts by Nouwen (written especially for that publication--that is, it's new stuff). Thankfully I got this book as a gift, but now you're telling me it's freely available to everyone?

    ReplyDelete
  7. uh, yeah, sorry Marc!!



    Actually they are taken from Bread for the Journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the web address. I'll be checking it out.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.