Saturday, February 26, 2005

Nouwen on hidden greatness


"There is much emphasis on notoriety and fame in our society. Our newspapers and television keep giving us the message: What counts is to be known, praised, and admired, whether you are a writer, an actor, a musician, or a politician.


Still, real greatness is often hidden, humble, simple, and unobtrusive. It is not easy to trust ourselves and our actions without public affirmation. We must have strong self-confidence combined with deep humility. Some of the greatest works of art and the most important works of peace were created by people who had no need for the limelight. They knew that what they were doing was their call, and they did it with great patience, perseverance, and love."


I confess that as a pastor and as a man I am often caught in between a hunger to be known and admired, and a deep desire to be unknown, simple, humble.


Influence, if gathered the wrong ways, only leads to brokeness and loss. Brokenness and loss, if lived out humbly, can lead to influence.

2 comments:

  1. Deep.



    I think I struggle with the same sort of thing, although I am not in a position of leadership. Do our gifts, whatever they may be, require us to seek 'greatness' in the worldly sense of the word? Even if that means influence for the furtherance of the Kingdom?



    "You have talent: use it; you could do great things!" This is a message that is generally given to those with obvious gifts. But is the talent buried, so to speak, if only a few ever see it? I'm inclined to think not; but perhaps I only want it to be that way.



    I don't know. Does this even make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Admiration and approval of others. There is probably nothing we want more - me anyways. It is pretty close to pride,if not one and the same, isn't it?



    You could be describing walking a tightrope - it requires a great sense of balance.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.