Tuesday, March 08, 2005

The Parting Glass?

I enjoy the music of Shane McGowan and the Pogues, and have for a while now. I especially like Shane's gifted writing, and his desperate need of a dentist! So tonight I watched a documentary on them.


What a profound story.


Images of men, locked in alcoholism and brokenness. Gifted musicians and talented writers who needed to be drunk all the time. And in spite of this heavy oppressive stuff, Shane and the band were able to write some amazing deep songs. Perhaps even because they were so broken, they were able to write of it so well.


Shane's in his 40's now, caught between rehab and a drunken stupor. Still writing songs, still stumbling through life, still no front teeth.


Of, all the money e'er I had, I spent it in good company.
And all the harm that ever I've done, alas it was to none but me.
And all I've done for want of wit to mem'ry now I can't recall;
So fill to me the parting glass, Good night and joy be with you all.


Oh, all the comrades e'er I had, they're sorry for my going away.
And all the sweethearts e'er I had, they'd wished me one more day to stay.
But since it falls unto my lot, that I should rise and you should not,
I gently rise and softly call, Goodnight and joy be with you all.


If I had money enough to spend, and leisure time to sit awhile.
There is a fair maid in this town, that sorely has my heart beguiled.
Her rosy cheeks and ruby lips, I own, she has my heart in thrall;
Then fill to me the parting glass, Good night and joy be with you all.


The Parting Glass

No comments:

Post a Comment



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.