Monday, April 18, 2005

Guest Blogger: Lauralea

And now, a lighter moment, brought to you by our Guest Blogger, Lauralea.


She writes:



The Birds and The Bees... and the Marbles and the Balloons...


So. This morning, before anyone else was moving around, Micah meandered into the kitchen with his water balloon, to where I was making the breakfast waffles. He was quite proud of that balloon, as it was the first balloon he'd ever been able to tie off himself.


We got chatting, and somehow we got onto the problem of pregnancy. I can't remember how it came about, but all of a sudden he was saying, "Well, So-and-So couldn't have a baby". To which I replied, that, well, as soon as a girl starts having her period, she could, technically have a baby.


So, he says, what's a period?


Ah.


I was, momentarily, stumped, but then I reasoned he's 10- well, really, only about three weeks shy of 11. Why shouldn't he know what a period is?


So, I told him.


I drew diagrams in the air with my hands, and told him of the wonders of the female gynecology. How the uterus is made to be like a nest for the baby to grow in. How the Father has the seeds, and the Mother has the eggs in her ovaries. How the Father's seeds gets inside the Mother, and when they meet an egg a baby can be made. How every month the uterus gets ready for making a baby and if a baby isn't conceived the uterus sheds it's protective lining, which is made up of stuff to feed the baby, and then the whole process starts again.


Yup. I told him.


So, he says, What would happen to the marble inside this water balloon if I put it in the freezer?


 



6 comments:

  1. I've not met Lauralea but I can tell that I like her. Good story, good story-teller -- comic relief for a stressful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you come over and explain it to Marc sometime? Please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL @ Marc and Vanderwife.



    A little girl of about 5 went looking for her father and eventually found him outside, washing the car.



    She asked him "Dad, what's sex?"



    Her father was a little surprised at being asked by one so young, but wishing to be open he explained about birds and bees, about the egg and the *squirm, masturbation and contraception and the need to bring up children responsibly. From time to time he'd glance at his daughter, but she was paying rapt attention, eyes wide, head nodding.



    After about 15 minutes he was drawn back to reality by his wife's voice calling him in for dinner. Winding up the conversation, he said "I'm surprised you asked this so young, but I'm glad we've had this chat. What made you ask anyway?"



    She said "well, mummy had dinner ready, and wanted me to ask you to come inside in a couple of secs".



    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. * One of our children came home from school talking about the "egg and the squirm".

    ReplyDelete
  5. With a son like Micah, well, that should be enough material for not only Lauralea to keep a blog page going but teachers, shop keepers, and transients as well. That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long while.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.