Sunday, May 22, 2005

Friends

Last night I went to bed early, I was tired. So I awoke early too and got online and began to check on friends.


I got to Toni's site and my heart sank.


His and Chris' little girl/young lady was in a bad auto accident yesterday, and died on the scene.



I read and my eyes wouldn't believe it. My heart couldn't keep up to what my eyes were reading. I called to Lauralea and told her, between chokes, what had happened. She came and through tears, read the news.


Toni's been around here as long as anybody, and has a deep passion for God things, and life things. I've had some great moments with him as he shares his heart with me, and I with him.


This mornings news sent me into tears like I haven't known for a long time. As I left for the church, Lauralea was asking how much credit we have with the bank. I knew what she meant. When a friend goes through these things you go to be with them. You sit with them and pray, but mostly sit.


I went to the office and closed the door and began to sob. I got control of things and called him on the phone. All things considered, he sounded good, and it was good to hear him. I think he consoled me more than I did him. And that's ok. The rest of the morning I was pretty much dazed and confused. And the worship time saw more tears. 


You've got to know, I've never met Toni in person. We've talked via email and online, and I've phone him once, but I consider him a friend. I've prayed for him and Chris, his wife. I've spent time praying for Sarah and Dan and Ben. I know exactly what it's like to be in my early 40's, with a family.


And this is where the net breaks down. You can create friendships and life giving connections here, but at the end of the day, you need to sit together, in the same room, and laugh and cry.


God is there, cocooning them, sustaining them, carrying them. I wish I could just drop by, and sit a while.


 


Remember them this week will you?

3 comments:

  1. Hello Randall.



    I am saddened by this entry tonight. And I can identify with your sorrow. What do you say in times like these, but to admit, "i have no idea." I do know this, that You are in my prayers.



    We could get all mystical and remember God's grace, and speak of eternal life and all that stuff. But now, I see you have a journey to walk ahead.



    Whatever you do remember that God hears us. Like you said, we can be community here, but at the end of the day we need to sit together in a room and laugh and cry.



    God with God and Know you are in my thoughts.



    Peace,

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So this song came to me as I sat here and prayed after reading this entry ...let me share it with you.



    " ... and he will raise you up on eagles wings, bear you on the breath of dawn, make you to shine like the sun, and hold you in the palm of His hand..."





    Peace

    Jer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never met Tony either. Funny how that is on this blog-o-sphere thing. You read and listen to people's thoughts, you begin the process of "knowing" folks but as you said Randall, not like in person. The presence of a friend when you're in the midst of crisis is a comforting thing. I pray God will get you to your friend, to sit, to cry, to listen. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.