Monday, May 02, 2005

Mongolian cherries

Today, after taking our sweet time to get up and running, Lauralea and I headed out to the Garden Nursery to check their stock.


We ended up buying two Mongolian Cherry bushes.



"Mongolian cherries grow on a small bush producing excellent dime size cherries, an overlooked species. Fantastic for jelly or syrup. Grows to 6 feet."


Lauralea's (Or, should I say "Lauraleas" Marc??) been wanting this plant for a few years since we found this shrub growing in her mom and dad's hometown. We picked a bunch then and it made amazing jam's and drinks etc. It's just like the Sour Cherries candy.


Well, since then we've been looking for them, and today I stumbled over them at the Nursery.


So, we got two of them and took them home and they are now nicely installed in the back yard.


Bring on the Cherries!!


Now, if I could only get Key Limes to grow...

7 comments:

  1. Just plant the seeds after you squeeze the juice out to make your key lime pie. Of course, if the lime has been cooled it might have trouble germinating. But they will grow and fruit from seeds (key limes are one of the few citrus' on the market that will actually give you good fruit from a seed started plant). You might want to consider keeping your key lime inside in a pot -- especially in PA -- lots of sunlight -- and warm -- keep it warm -- and it may surprise you.



    The cherries sound GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, "Lauralea's" is more or less correct in a colloquial sense. I'm not sure if technically "Lauralea has" can technically be contracted, but that's how we all say it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not being an English Major or Graduate student or anything of merit (!) I would like to interject that in this situation, I believe "Lauralea's" is correct in the possesive sense of the word, in that it refers to "Lauralea's mom and dad's hometown", or "the hometown of Lauralea's mom and dad. (Although "mom and dad" should perhaps be capitalized, as they seem to be acting as proper nouns in this instance.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Show off's, both of you.



    I Like Brad's approach much better.



    http://bradboydston.blogspot.com/2005/04/solitude-yesterday-our-17-year-old.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, Lauralea, you are agreeing with me? You explained it better than I.



    Don't belittle yourself. You sound very eloquent, full of merit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear. I just re-read that paragraph (the one with the apostrophe) and the "Lauralea's" doesn't refer to the hometown. So, I DO agree with yon Anal Hoser, that it's more of a colloquialism. My mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Key lime pie.



    Mmmm......



    Just call it an abbreviation and have done with it. Why waste time when you could be eating? :-D

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.