Saturday, May 07, 2005

She was here a day ago...

Saturday night, and all is well, I think.


This place has been in a bit of a storm late this week, and Mrs. Randallfriesen.com has been a bit stressed, to say the least. Add to her regular responsibilities some surprise outside expectations, some stressful meetings, a child's eleventh birthday, surprise company, and viola, you have the makings of a very stressful, unhappy place. Happy Mothers Day.


Things are better tonight. Company's gone, all her prep work for XSFJOY tomorrow is done, the youth garage sale is past, and like that.


We watched a movie tonight made in 1963 in which Doris Day was married to a Doctor, and she was a housewife, and, very proud of that fact. It's one of those old movies from the 60's that make us laugh a lot.


But it does make a statement. We as a society have progressed to the place where its shameful being a housewife. Rather than being proud of the work they do, today many stay at home mom's and dad's are embarrassed by their work. 


We should start a movement in which people are proud of their work. We should honour what they do and have T-Shirts made, and envy those who make the choice or are able to stay at home.


This week we hardly saw her around here, and the place began to fall down. The kids saw it and we experienced it first hand. Our conclusion? We will have to beat up anybody who says the stay at home mom or dad does nothing. We will get some big goon named Nicky or Vicky to visit your house and teach you to respect the work they do.


Don't mess with us.


Period.

7 comments:

  1. Here's to the stay at home moms and their work.

    Now if only the governments (provincial and federal) would re-think their tax strategies and child care policies to leave a little more money in the pockets of single-income families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's the hardest job of all...cas you gotta run this company, with all these associates, and if they piss you off, you cant fire them....just send them to their room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marc VandersluysMay 7, 2005 at 4:35 PM

    Goons with the name Nicky or Vicky?



    Anyway, you're bang on. Stay at home parents rock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Randall, I support stay-at-home moms. I would be willing to pummel people for you. Really, I'll give you first couple for free.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this Randall.



    I love my job. I'm proud of my skills and my intelligence, even though society thinks I'm as skilled as a hamster for being a 'homemaker'.



    I see lip service everywhere about how noble full time parents are, yet when I get asked in public what I do, eyes glaze over and discussions move swiftly to the weather.



    There is value in it...all commercial Moms on tv are shown as homemakers...it's still seen as the ideal in a lot of ways. Yet there is little respect for it. Sad indeed.



    Kudos to you, Lauralea! And to you Randall for seeing the value. My husband's affirmation of all I do is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lauralea informed me that she read a statistic that said only 15% of families today have two parents with one staying at home.



    Sheesh. That's like 15 people in any crowd of a 100.

    Kinda scary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Friesens for continuing the tradition of Family first, money & material second. I'm proud to be working with you.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.