Monday, June 27, 2005

Micah's Awards Day

Now I've always downplayed the place Recognition Awards have in the academic life, mostly because I knew what it was to do your best and never receive one. (I'm not bitter. Really!) So I've always encouraged the kids to do their best, whatever happens.


This is why the girl who gets a 90% in whatever class it was stared at me like a crazy man when I said, "Yeah, that's great, did you do your best?" 


:-)


Anyway, like I've said before, sometimes they don't make recognition awards for the things you're good at.


Well, today it was Micah's turn. 15 minutes worth of fame.


It was his schools awards ceremony this morning, and it's my day off so I went along.


Weren't we just surprised when Micah was awarded the "Patrolman of the Year" award. It's selected by the school students for being the best crossing guard. He received a gift watch and a nice shiny paper.


Weren't we even more surprised when they handed out the next award, for the "Best Playground Helper!" The teachers select this person, and the award was,  ... a new watch and a shiny piece of paper!


Wow. Cool.


All these kids, and all these recognition awards.


It's cool, but I still have a heart for the kid who gets no award, no recognition. There have been and will again be times in the kids lives when no recognition is forthcoming.


And I'll understand it, and I'll recognize em and cheer them on.


Meantime, this year our fridge is full of reasons to party.


7 comments:

  1. not to be rude and shove your lack of acedemic standing in your face or anything, but "shinny" is actually "shiny".



    according to webster,

    Shinny: a variation of hockey played by children with a curved stick and a ball or block of wood; also : the stick used



    Shiny: bright in appearance; rubbed or worn smooth; lustrous with natural secretions

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shinny????? Looks like those awards were good for something, eh Dad?



    And way to go Micah!!! Super great job...and effort! We're all proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh?



    I don't know what you're talking about??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! How come you correct the things that Johanna points out, but not what I point out? Need I remind you of the incorrect apostrophe in the word "photos" at the bottom of the sidebar? It's been months...





    ;-)





    Lunch sometime soon?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Yeah? Well, you should start a website called AnalHoser and just pick apart people's peoples websites!!!



    er something.











    yeah, lunch, soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You saw that? I wondered if you would--it was meant for your eyes, so you were supposed to see it). I set it up not long after you called me an Anal Hoser. I even got a google mail address. I thought I had deleted it. It was almost the greatest joke in the history of mankind, but no one appeared to notice.



    Hopefully you saw it around the time I created it, otherwise, if you saw it much later and you had forgotten our exchange, I'd look like a real jerk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. but...i really did nothing...

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.