Friday, July 29, 2005

I'm a pastor Jim, not a webdesignerguy!

Tests have proven that the average reader of RandallFriesen.com is above average in terms of intelligence, creativity, and just good looks.


This surprises me no end, given who they are reading.


But this creative intelligence can be used for good.


For instance, tonight I've been messing around with design questions. I am enjoying taking pictures and learning a bit about it in the process. While it's ok to have little thumbnails on the site, they don't make any real statements the way they should.


I want to be able to include the odd big picture, on my site.


So, I've played around with a few ideas and would welcome your input. Simple, minimal, styles that would allow for some more creativity on the site.


Take a look at these and le'me know what you like and hate. 


http://www.randallfriesen.com/bob1.cfm


http://www.randallfriesen.com/bob2.cfm


http://www.randallfriesen.com/bob3.cfm


http://www.randallfriesen.com/bob4.cfm


And remember, I'm more interested in the styling, rather than the images or titles used.


What's easy to move around in. What's hard to read... kinds of things.


So, put your minds together and talk to me.


Leave a comment.

10 comments:

  1. I kind of like 2 and 4 best. But I think it will depend on if this is just for pictures or also for writing. The font on Friesen on 4 looks very germanic. Was that the idea?

    Having one sidebar makes the links etc, easier to access than having that stuff down below.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Yeah - you could pass for a webdesignerguy. And I think you are right about your readerships above average "intelligence, creativity and just good looks."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dixie and I like 4 with the pictures, but maybe 3 when it is just text.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I like 4 best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2 for me.



    TBH I think blogs should be stripped down and streamlined as much as possible. As you've probably noticed, the only thing that changes on mine is the content. I'm just not fussed about how it looks as long as it loads quick and the design doesn't intrude.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like 4, but it's more default because I dislike all the other ones. Though you might not want to listen to me. I may very well be an below average reader, making my opinions null and void.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of the new options four is the best. But I like it the way it is right now even better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Randall, I like 4 cause of the sidebar, I would get really frustrated with all the info down the very bottom. BTW, thanks for the complment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don`t really like any of them.

    but I`ll give you reasons:



    1 - feels very empty and stark. I like the way the posts are divided though; it makes it clear what's what.



    2 - I like the title at the top (maybe change "confessions"...it's too clich?), but I don`t like the timestamp/trackback placement, and the "comments" is in an odd place. And...I`m still a fan of colour.



    3 - I like the colour scheme, but I think the highlighted trackback and comments right before the again highlit title & date makes it look too chunky.



    4 - I guess I like it the most because it has the most form. It looks slightly more finished than the others, but I like the "details" thing you have on all the others. I like the colour scheme of the grey and stuff, and it's a bit easier to navigate than the sidebar.



    Your readers might be intelligent, but I don`t think we`re all intelligent enough to realize that "details" automatically jumps to the junk at the bottom of the page. You know I wasn`t...



    but yeah...I`d say keep working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brad makes a good point. Your current design is better than the other options. But I know what you're trying to accomplish with new design. I guess I'm saying keep working on it...

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.