Friday, July 29, 2005

IM, therefore I think

Last night as I was thinking about going to bed, I realized that I hadn't checked my email during the day. Sometimes a piece of gold might show up in that little box you know. Especially now that I have a child "Out There." Course sometimes, most times, the mail promises to help me enhancing something. My relationships, my wallet, or my "Special Purpose." But I digress.


As I logged into windows, my MSN Messenger started up and faster than you could say ... well, just about anything, three Messenger windows popped up, lookin for a chat.


Now, being a guy, I take a lot of abuse about not being able to multitask. I don't know where that comes from honestly. The sexist argument that says guys can only do one thing at a time.


I mean, isn't it important that I give my attention to my driving, so we can get you there in one piece, rather than be up to date on the minutia of life??


Isn't it important to be a good steward of our financial resources so that when I watch the football game on cable, I should be watching the game rather than be carrying on a conversation at the exact same time. That would be like a waste of money!


Multitasking? Hey, you're speaking to a guy who can watch two programs at the same time, while listening to a radio or CD! It's just that it's not always profitable.


Well, last night as the three windows popped up, the adrenalin started pumping and there before me was a test of immanent proportions. Three conversations, three different directions, three relationships that I value, all at the door at the same time.


Click, click, click and off we went.


One conversation was with a friend who's wife just had an ultrasound and they had the first pictures of their baby girl! How cool was that! And they were able to show me the pictures. And God was right in there knitting the little thing together. It was really inspiring.


Another conversation was with someone who was having a hard time with family expectations and pain. Having children is just not easy. The problems only get bigger as they do. And when your child becomes broken, it just hurts in places you never though you had places anymore.


We talked a while. I was looking for solutions. They were tired and simply communicating that weariness and pain. It was good to know what was happening, as I look for ways, helpful ways to be involved.


Another conversation went a few different places before I got them to evaluate some site changes I'm contemplating. It was helpful for me. And just having a friend as near as a mouse click, is a comforting thing.



Instant Messaging can be a pain when you're trying to keep out interruptions, but I'm using it more than email these days. It is a great way to be available and included in other people's lives.


In fact, I've probably had more good conversations with Johanna over IM, since she's been in Winnipeg, than I have had voice conversations with her. I knew she missed me when she took me off of her "can't see me list."


The other day I had a conversation with a friend and our conference Superintendent about some conference issues and concerns and some possible leads for our Annual Meeting next year.


I'm preparing to officiate at Leighton's and Carol's wedding next week and a lot of the communication has taken place over Instant Messaging. I even received his written Vows over IM, and am now waiting for hers. Hint hint...


My brother and I catch up with each other, and we send game mods and other files quickly to one another through IMing.  In fact, we get our webcams working and we have full audio and video conversations with each other, even though we live a couple hours apart. George Jetson's got nothing on us!


With MSN Messenger, you can instant message my cell phone, with really no great cost to me. I'll be sitting in a meeting in Calgary and get a message from Micah or one of the other kids. They've had an awful day and need to tell me about it. Then when I leave to drive home for seven hours after two long days of meetings, I message my changing location into Lauralea all evening, and she messages me, helping to keep me awake.


Another connection possibility with people. Another chance to share life. Another chance to grow and learn, and love.


Last night was rare, which was probably why I wrote about it. But it does illustrate some of the possibilities.


You should try it yourself. Install MSN Messenger, and sign me up as a contact, randall_friesen@hotmail.com


Lets "Talk."

2 comments:

  1. I agree - MSN and Yahoo messengers are both great. I have made friends through an online design forum I joined several years ago, and through IMing one another I have gotten to know some really great people from across the country, and even in other countries. I love this because now we are all getting together in October in Las Vegas so we can finally meet and hang out in person. Messenger services do definately have their benifits :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now THAT is cool!



    Hope you guys have a great time.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.