Saturday, July 02, 2005

Some observations on Live 8

Yes, I was watching the Football game but every time a Saskatchewan player did something dumb, I flicked over to the Live 8 concert to catch a glimpse.


Some observations:


Wow, Neil Young ain't so young anymore. 


And Madonna? Some of her team of dancers did amazing things on their heads, but when she shrieked that last note, well I quickly went back to the game.


McCartney and U2 started the day, and U2 nicely set the tone.


Historic Moment? Pink Floyd singing "Money" like they had never stopped playing together.


Biggest surprise? Mariah Carey running the stage and not falling off those heels!


Brian Adams. Always good.


Booing Celine Dion? Come on people, we're Canadian here.


Dan Aykroyd. He makes me feel skinny.


Most uncomfortable looking Artist singing his hit from a bagillion years ago? Sir Bob Geldof singing "I Don't Like Mondays."


Really, not a bad day at all, as Bono said, not for charity but for justice. Interesting that it takes a bunch of artists to do what the church has been called to be doing all along.


Maybe the Artists are indeed the prophets to this generation.

2 comments:

  1. "Interesting that it takes a bunch of artists to do what the church has been called to be doing all along.



    Maybe the Artists are indeed the prophets to this generation."



    Profound, dear Randall. My husband and I poured over that thought after reading it here.



    It makes me sad to see secular society doing more effectively what the church should be doing with every breath. How ironic that a group of artists that includes some morally questionable, addicts, and hard-living people can bring such a wave of change.



    If the church was as strongly drawn together by pure passion and conviction as this group, we could be so much stronger.



    Thank you, Randall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got mixed feelings about Live 8. The message seemed to be that our role as individuals is only to exert pressure on Government, not to contribute directly (Sir Bob's announcement before the events specifically stated that they didn't want our money ... except indirectly through taxation). I question whether sending a postcard to the Prime Minister or signing a petition is of more value than digging into my pockets to make a direct financial contribution. I agree with the goal of eliminating world hunger, and I agree with encouraging our government to increase its level of funding for aid, consider forgiving debt for poor nations, etc., but I would have liked to see more challenge to individuals, and less to the Mother State.

    I agree that the Church should do more, but I hope it won't use Live 8 as its model. I'd rather see more teaching on stewardship including a biblical view of tithing than on political activism.

    By the way, Neil Young may have aged, but he still rocks!

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.