Monday, October 31, 2005

Happy Candy Day!!!

It's a day off around here and Lauralea is gone all day. She's working at Micah's school, Princess Margaret.

She's heading up some huge school bake sale thing. She baked and crafted last week for the church ladies bake and craft sale, then came home Saturday and jumped right in to the school bake sale. She doesn't seem to hear me when I say let's go buy some baking, repackage it, and sell it!

Anyway, I find myself alone again today, so I ran the errands that needed to be run.

I went up and checked out the new Giant Tiger store here in town. A bit of a Wal-Mart wannabe, if you ask me. But I was in search of cheap candy.

You see, I am the cheap old man who for Halloween, gives out those restaurant mints that come individually packaged that you can buy 100 for 2 bucks kind of deal. Hey, that's what I do. The kid will eat the mint and it will make her candy coated mouth minty fresh, and I care.

But, she who I live with detests this about me. In fact one year when I was in charge of getting the candy, I purchased the aforementioned cheap candy. When I arrived home she rolled her eyes and went and got the pricer chocolatier candy. So the whole deal ended up costing me more money. And I had to eat those nasty mints for months to come.

So today when it was finally my turn to get the candy again, mainly because she was too busy working at the school, I went looking for the cheap stuff.

And there it was, in all of it's individually wrapped cheap goodness.

And I paused and looked at the better candy. Then back to the cheap stuff, then back to the good stuff... you get it.

I stood there and I reflected on 20 years of marriage.

Then in an epifinal moment (If epifinal is a word. If it's not, then I just created it!) I reached past the cheap stuff, and went for the better candy, knowing the girl would smile on me.

I came home and showed her the haul. She didn't say a thing about it.

I think she just gives me the benefit of the doubt.

So, tonight if you come to my house, you'll get a little chocolate bar. But it better be less than 70 of you because I only bought two packages of it.

After that I'm handing out little individual Tums tablets cause that's all the candy type stuff we have left in the house!


6 comments:

  1. I have definate ideas on what is good to give out at Haloween. For a couple of years I gave out these really cool pencils and erasers. Not very sweet. No cariogenic properties. I think I was voted the most mean and stingy mom/dentist in the world. So, I caved. It had nothing to do with money - what I gave out cost more. It was the message I was giving out. So I caved. For the last few years I did the chocolate bar thing. This year it will be the more palatable (for a dentist) choice of chips. Maybe I am working back up to higher standards.



    Here's a thought. Wouldn't Jesus have given out the best treats? Like the wine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)



    Yeah, I guess he would have at that.



    ReplyDelete
  3. Dentists could give out sugar free gum! Most kids like gum, and getting a package of gum is usually a thrill- especially for the younger kids; (even the older ones are always scrounging gum from me.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh...sugar-free gum? Oh man, if I was a kid, I'd rather chew my cud...LOL.



    But seriously, if you must give chocolate, give fair (trade)-ly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought Glen and I were really going posh this year when we bought those tiny chocolate bars to hand out. I figure one chocolate bar and two cheap candies per kid is fairly generous. I was wrong. Our new neighborhood has some crazy high standards... we took Ben out for a bit (all cute in his bee costume) and the first house we hit he gets 3 (count them 3) bags of chips and 2 chocolate bars. I figure this must be a fluke... next house... bag of chips and two chocolate bars... one house even had these cellophane wrapped and decorated packages with chocolate bars... suckers... nibs... chips... and on... All this leads me to think #1 We live in the wrong neighborhood #2 I WAS JIPPED AS A KID!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My retired husband buys the candy. This year it was full-sized chocolate bars - probably 75 of the honkin' things. Well, we had around 25 kids come to the door!!! Where does that leave us??? They'll go fast at work...........in my "office" candy jar!

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.