Saturday, December 24, 2005

God Bless us, everyone.

Well, I do believe it's all done now. Nothing left to do but bring it on, Christmas that is.


The gifts have been wrapped, and our candle and carol service is completed. Tomorrow's service is ready to go, and it's bedtime.


Lauralea liked the gift I got her. (We opened one gift each tonight.) I got her an original oil painting of a winter scene with a stream running through the forest. Really nice job, by a local artist. It should help keep her cool in the hot summer.


She made me a blue dress shirt, which looks nice. Can't wait to try it out.


And now Lauralea is moving around upstairs getting the kids bowls ready for tomorrow. Yes, I said bowls. Somewhere back in the past, I think it was my mom who would tell about their Christmas mornings when she was a kid. Each child had a bowl and it would be full of treats and surprises. I suppose they didn't have stockings, but they did have these small metal bowls they used...


Well, Lauralea picked up on that and found four matching metal bowls, one for each child. And every Christmas eve she pulls them out, and fills them with candy and small gifts she's been purchasing all year. She puts in a wrapped cinnamon bun and candy and the small gifts, and places them under the tree. Christmas morning the kids are allowed to get to their bowls anytime, but they have to wait for the gifts, till we show up. It has become a very cool family tradition.


They're getting so big, these kids of ours. Hardly kids any longer. And I don't know how many times they will be back here for Christmas, or how many times they will look under the tree for their bowls. But I will enjoy what we have, and make the most of it, for now.


So, from our family to yours, have a most Blessed Christmas.


And may God Bless us, everyone.

5 comments:

  1. Jerry said that his mom's family used to do Christmas bowls, too. And considering you and her are from the same roots, I guess that's not too surprising!



    Happy Christmas, cous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And wishing you a blessed Christmas in return.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi made me a bowl this year. She is new to the family, as my bowl contained, candles, a note pad, a figurine and a cd. Oh, it did have an orange, but, the only peanuts were in a granola bar. She wanted to have her bases covered, bless her heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Lauralea can sew. Nice shirt. You are one lucky man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome family picture. Enjoy your time with family!

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.