Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Getting a Green Thumb at the Co-op

Lauralea and I went out for some Vietnamese food last night, her idea. It was a good one, but my mind was elsewhere most of the day.

It´s already at the weekend where I will be helping out another church work through some of its past, present, and future. The kind of stuff I love doing, mostly. I really want this to go well for them, and I guess if I´m honest, for me too. I love it when hope is renewed.

I feel overwhelmed by my work these days too. It isn´t overwhelming, I think, but I am overwhelmed by it´s sheer size. It sucks me in and there are moments I want to be sucked in because it keeps me nicely busy. Still, I know that busy done over a length of time only wears me down.

And I´m not always, if ever, sure that I´m doing this parenting thing right. Truth be told, more often than not I feel that this is one of the great failures of my 42 year life. I always loved kids, and wanted them, but the process of growing them is really really hard. And when you have a house full of individual people, all with their own ideas and personalities, maturity levels and hormones, things change. It even effects Lauralea and me, and how we get on. The longer I am alive on this planet, the less I actually know for sure. It´s very humbling.

I saw a program on Vision last night that was called Re-Creating Eden. Kind of a gardening show for recovering humans. I was really impressed with the guy they had on. He was puttering around in his garden which had been a place of re-creation for himself and his spirit after years of alcoholism.

Maybe this whole parenting thing is why I´m a crappy gardener too. I don´t do well with plants and such. Hey, keeping them alive is hard work for me. To much work if you ask me. There´s probably something there a counselor could spend a couple of sessions on!!

I have enough ?Ism´s? in my life that I need to recover from. Perfectionism, drivenism, making-up-my-own-wordsism. So maybe I should try gardening this summer... (yes, I heard that Lauralea)

I´m not promising anything, but I am thinking about it. After all a perfectionist in the Garden? That could look awesome.

Back to work.

3 comments:

  1. Back at you brother.



    1 Peter 5:14



    CPM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recreating Eden is a lovely series.

    Vision TV does have some great programs.



    I am no gardener but my mom was and my sister is.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.