Friday, March 10, 2006

Of Men and Snow and thinking Deeply

As I sit in front of the window typing, I realize that it´s snowing out. Again.

It looks so pretty, gently falling to the earth. But you take thousands and millions of those little flakes and put them on a pile on the road and pretty soon you´ll have a test of faith!

Since last week we´ve received a ton or two of snow. But I guess it´s not so different from last year. In 2005 we received a record amount of snow for todays date, 6.60 cm´s.

At least the farmers will be glad for all the moisture. And at least it´s been a beautiful winter, temperaturewise. We really have no reason to complain. Well, except for the fact that the hospital is over full due to all the heart attacks the old guys are having from trying to shovel their driveways.

Still, knowing the risks and dangers, men feel invincible and off they go to conquer the driveway. Like it takes away their manhood if they won´t do it. Hard to believe I know.

Like today, as I drove past my house to an appointment I had with someone, there was Lauralea in the front yard, shoveling the front walk with all her might.

Wanting to be considerate and acknowledge that I saw her, I gave a polite honk. Or three. This wasn´t as well received as it was intended. Apparently.

But later I thought, hmm, how embarrassing would it be if she ever keeled over from a shoveling induced heart attack! How would I hang around with the guys with that kind of baggage?

No body would want to hang out with me. The girls because I allow ladies to shovel their own walks, and the guys because I didn´t take it like a man, rather I let my wife ?take it.?

Then it dawned on me why guys, young and old, don´t listen to the advice to take it easy on the snow in their driveways. It´s not to protect their cars, it´s to protect their reputations.

Wow. That´s a deep thought.
Wonder how true it might be.

1 comment:

  1. Personally, I'm for snowblowers. Manly machinery and less physical strain. As for reputation and manhood, those things can be hard to get running so getting one going is enough of a testosterone test.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.